Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noisy throwout bearing?

hey r3v,

I've always noticed this, but I am slowly becoming very annoyed and kind of skeptical of why my transmission makes a weird knocking noise (similar to a rod knock, if you've ever heard a car with that type of symptom).

The cars transmission will knock whenever the clutch pedal isnt pressed in. If it IS pressed in, the knocking goes completely away...

Does this mean my throwout bearing is taking a shit on me? should i get this figured out asap, or am i ok to drive on it?

a shop put in a clutch kit, resurfaced the flywheel and put in a new pilot bushing at 167k (car has 197k now)..

any ideas e30 gurus?
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

a bad T/O bearing would be noisy when the pedal is pressed. and would go away when it wasnt.

you sure the pilot bearing was replaced?
    Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
    past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
      a bad T/O bearing would be noisy when the pedal is pressed. and would go away when it wasnt.

you sure the pilot bearing was replaced?

shoot...

I have receipts of when the clutch kit/pilot bushing was replaced by the shop..so im sure it was replaced. but do they usually go bad after 30k?
      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

does the knocking happen also while you drive?
        is it speed or rpm dependant?
        Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
        past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

I'm going to guess that it is the standard rattle that comes along with these transmissions after many miles. It should smooth out once you start driving but at idle with the clutch out it will drive you nuts. I've been beating the crap out of mine on the track for 4 years now with that same noise, sounds worse now with solid mounts on the drivetrain. Take a video for a more definite diagnosis.
          sigpic
          '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

all mine rattle since the beginings of time.

when pressed goes away. clutch off- sounds like there's loose bolts flying around in the bellhousing -.-

been racing it for 2.5 years no probs. I think it started with the ltw flywheel.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
              does the knocking happen also while you drive?
              is it speed or rpm dependant?
              no knocking when i drive

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
              all mine rattle since the beginings of time.

when pressed goes away. clutch off- sounds like there's loose bolts flying around in the bellhousing -.-

been racing it for 2.5 years no probs. I think it started with the ltw flywheel.
              haha yup, thats the perfect analogy! it really does sound like loose bolts flying around

Originally posted by SkinnyVT View Post
              I'm going to guess that it is the standard rattle that comes along with these transmissions after many miles. It should smooth out once you start driving but at idle with the clutch out it will drive you nuts. I've been beating the crap out of mine on the track for 4 years now with that same noise, sounds worse now with solid mounts on the drivetrain. Take a video for a more definite diagnosis.
              yessir, drives me nuts everytime at idle. and my family/friends question if my car is ok...LOL

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will replacing the transmission fluid help with the noise? im due for a change anyway
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

I have the same problem!
                Except mine also does it when im taking off too. I have a hunch my tranny has low fluid. anxious to see what fixes yours!
                GL buddy!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brutus87 View Post
                  I have the same problem!
                  Except mine also does it when im taking off too. I have a hunch my tranny has low fluid. anxious to see what fixes yours!
                  GL buddy!

yeah its strange. my past e30s (with higher mileage) have never had this kind of weird issue before.

Im thinking i should replace the fluid as well, to see if that makes a difference

Ill keep you posted Carlos!
                  08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

any update my does the same thing and i think I have a slow leak and im using redline mtl

Comment

just have a peak underneath to make sure your tranny mounts are ok.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
                        just have a peak underneath to make sure your tranny mounts are ok.
                        great starting point!
                        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

I think using mt-90 if applicable would quiet things down as it is heavier than the MTL

Comment

it's the nature of the getrag beast. it's annoying, but it will make noise like that and still last virtually forever. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

from what my bmw tech friend tells me this occurrence is common when people keep the clutch depressed while sitting at lights for an extended period of time - as in months etc.
                              It has something to do the with bearing being lubricated with the clutch out. this is his theory being a tech for over 15 years and extensive e30 experience. Only thing he says can be done at this point is to deal with it as long as it doesn't cause problems and just change it when time comes for the new clutch. Best to avoid keeping the clutch pedal depressed when not necessary. I know it sounds oxymoron.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X