Have Called/Searched/Talked to everyone..still need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Called/Searched/Talked to everyone..still need help

So I have a balancer shield thing around my guibo. I loosened just the bolts that attach the driveshaft to the guibo. I never got anything behind the guibo to loosen the 3 nuts attached, cause at first I didnt think there were any back there since they couldnt be accessed. Then I got my finger to fit behind the balancer and felt the nut recessed in the back.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	guibo shield.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	7223322
    I tried tightening it back up and they just kept turning. After driving 2 days a bolt popped out so now im trying to get it back in.

Me and a friend got a nut back in using our fingers and make shift tools.lol but the nut is only on the bolt. theres still a lot of wiggle room

Name:	makeshift tool 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	7223320
    Imma try this thing i found in the basement tmrw to keep the nut from turning behind the guibo. hopefully it fits between the tranny. im soo out of ideas

Name:	makeshift tool 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7223321

any suggestions??
    Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM.
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

I sawed it off and then grinded the remaining bits down to the shape of the output flange, it's not necessary - I've been all through the rev ranges and well into the mph's and no extra vibration.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Have you tried a stuby 17mm with a slight bend in the box end?
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
        I sawed it off and then grinded the remaining bits down to the shape of the output flange, it's not necessary - I've been all through the rev ranges and well into the mph's and no extra vibration.
        eehhh, sawing it off isnt gonna happen..knowing my luck ill end up sawing some of the guibo.

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
        Have you tried a stuby 17mm with a slight bend in the box end?
        tried heating it up and bending it but no dice..the nut in the back is a 16mm. still try a 17? i guess i need to bend it more. and by box end u mean the closed end right.

Comment

Why not pull the driveshaft loose from the tranny, tighten the other 3 bolts holding the flex disk to the driveshaft, then re-attach it to the tranny? You can even remove the balancer if you want. It isn't needed.

Comment

cause the shield blocks access to the back of the bolts..

I would just pull the driveshaft loose from the tranny but that involves taking off the center bearing and taking the driveshaft apart from the diff.lol OH AND IM NOT TRYING TO PULL MY DRIVESHAFT OFF

And btw taking the driveshaft off the tranny involves getting access to the back of the shield between the tranny!
            Not to ask for help and then sound douchey but u cant just pull the driveshaft off the tranny. theres 3 more bolts holding it there. They just keep turning and turning and turning if you dont get something on the other side to hold it down..im looking for a specific technique or tool needed to get at those nuts and bolts.

I understand I dont need that thing there but im not trying to have a discussion about that. it is in my way. does anyone have experience doing this with one installed?

Im only trying to tighten the one bolt attached to the driveshaft & guibo. It fell out. My 1st pic above shows how the driveshaft has the 3 flanges coming off it, which attaches it to the guibo. Then those nuts that u see in the 1st pic attach the guibo to the 3 tranny flanges.(pic below of the 3 tranny flanges)
            Even the bolt behind the shield are hard to get to. making removing the driveshaft (which i do not want to do) impossible anyway
            Last edited by ROLLingKING; 09-22-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Name:	guibo shield empty.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	7135600

see..theres not enough room behind this shit to hold even these bolts down..this is the dumbest design on the car i think

Thes ones in this pic (^) are already tight on my car actualy. its the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the guibo..the nuts are up against the tranny side and the bolt heads are facing the back side. the visible ones (bolt head) in the 1st post

Comment

You need to just remove the 3 visable nuts which hold the guibo to the trans. Pull the driveshaft out, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the quibo to the driveshaft.

Its really not that hard to remove the driveshaft, it will be alot easier than trying to wrestle with the bolts that are on teh backside of that shield.

Comment

BTW, the studs on the trans should not spin because they are splined.

If you have the newer style, you will need to fit a wrench back there and hold the head of the stud. Ive done it before, its not impossible.

Comment

Pull driveshaft out and work on it where you have room.

I've done this on ubernasty's,Jdworne, and one of ill4noreason's cars.

One person holds the counter wrench, you take shot off with a ratchet or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
                      [ATTACH]46650[/ATTACH]

see..theres not enough room behind this shit to hold even these bolts down..this is the dumbest design on the car i think

Thes ones in this pic (^) are already tight on my car actualy. its the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the guibo..the nuts are up against the tranny side and the bolt heads are facing the back side. the visible ones (bolt head) in the 1st post

remove the entire flange, toss the weird studs and balancer, re-install flange, put in new style bolts+nuts. DONE
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

so after another day (day 4) of attempting this i still can not get the bolt tight..I was able to tighten it a bit using a bent flat head and trying to pry on the nut so it wont spin but no luck

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                          remove the entire flange, toss the weird studs and balancer, re-install flange, put in new style bolts+nuts. DONE
                          Did you even read anything written above. i mean come on its only a one page thread

if it were that simple i woulda been done by now. holding anything back there to remove the driveshaft from the tranny is impossible for me. I cant keep the nuts in the back from rotating. again..they keep spinning inside the balancer!

Anyone have a specific tool they used to hold down the nut in the backside of the balancer!? I need to get back to work soon and need my car.lol this sucks

Comment

everytime i've done this we used a regular old metric wrench as a counter. never had a issue...

maybe try rotating the driveshaft so its at a different angle?

or just buy a bentley.

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                              everytime i've done this we used a regular old metric wrench as a counter. never had a issue...

maybe try rotating the driveshaft so its at a different angle?

or just buy a bentley.
                              did the cars u worked on have the balancer covering the back of the guibo? with this cover here it makes things sooo much more dificult.

and i just thought of this..everyone keeps saying use an open ended wrench..so either my car is a one of a kind freak of germany, which I doubt or i was using the 16mm wrench the wrong way

can anyone explain how they used the 16mm open ended wrench to get between the balancer shield thing the back of the tranny??

Thanks to everyone for the advice tho.
                              I dont mean to sound like a bitch. I guess im just frustrated everyone keeps saying use a open ended wrench and thats the worst tool out of all of em ive tried.lol it wouldnt even touch the recessed nut. my guibo balancer covers the back of the shit just enough to where im pushing and pushing on the wrench but it wont pry on to the nut!

Comment

Working...
                              X