Weld driveshaft center bushing bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weld driveshaft center bushing bracket?

Well I am getting a horrible vibration during acceleration.

When I put the new engine in I found that the center bearing bracket has seperated from the drive shaft. Is this common? I did some searching but could not find answers.

I am thinking about welding it slowly with a series of spots to keep the heat down. The bearing itself seems to be OK.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

The center support bearing should all be one piece. The metal bracket that bolts to the car is part of the bearing. If it is separated from the rubber, you need a new one. Make sure you pre-load the new on when you bolt it to the car. This is what the slots are for.

Comment

You could try repairing the CSB, or even replacing it. But I'll bet that won't eliminate the vibration. In almost all cases a failure of the CSB is caused by binding u-joints in the drive shaft. The only real fix is a rebuilt drive shaft.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I think I know what you mean... the metal hoop has separated from the metal base, but the rubber and bearing are still good. That happened to me when I bought a cheap CSB. Get an OE CSB from BMW or try welding yours, as you said. If it fails again (whether it be the rubber, the bearing, or the metal frame separating again, then I'd go with what jlevie said and get a rebuilt driveshaft, or known-good used driveshaft if you're on a budget. You can usually feel when the u-joints are worn, they will feel notchy while moving them.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

When I put in the motor I checked everything out and the u-joints seemed to be OK, no play and smooth. The Giubo will need to be replaced soon though.

I'm going to install a new tailshaft seal when I get some downtime in the shop this week, will have to try to weld the bracket too.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

New good quality CSB's arent that expensive (Email Blunt) and are likely to be better than a welded failed unit. Biggest issue I see with a repaired unit would be not getting it properly aligned, causing failure of the csb, and possibly wiping out your new guibo in the process.
            I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

I have had my reservations as well on weather or not it will be perfectly aligned.

I considered welding it as it rests on the bracket but that doesn't take into account drive train flex.

Meh, I'm cheap though, I will probably end up welding it and trying it for a while before I replace the Giubo. Worst case scenario, it doesn't last and I snag one from a junk yard.
              No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                I have had my reservations as well on weather or not it will be perfectly aligned.

I considered welding it as it rests on the bracket but that doesn't take into account drive train flex.

Meh, I'm cheap though, I will probably end up welding it and trying it for a while before I replace the Giubo. Worst case scenario, it doesn't last and I snag one from a junk yard.
                not worth the junkyard hassle, new is ~$30 bucks.
                I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

The fracture line where it broke is probably uneven enough that you can get it right back into the original position before welding. Might be hard to see while mounted in the car though.

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                  not worth the junkyard hassle, new is ~$30 bucks.
                  +1, I couldn't imagine pulling a DS in a junkyard for a used CSB, paying $5-$10, then pulling the driveshaft in my own car and replacing the CSB with a used one. Plus, I don't know of an easy way to replace it without damaging it. You can't get a 3-jaw puller on the bearing without tearing the rubber.

Just get a new one and call it a day. $30....
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

you have the retaining clip on there?

number 10.
                    forgot it on mine. purpose is to keep the bearing from walking.
                    www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                    2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X