Shifting Clunk diagnosis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting Clunk diagnosis...

I hear a clunk each time I load/unload the driveline.

Recently I changed: subframe/rtba bushings, wheel bearings, all parking brake parts, new coilovers.

What can cause that clunk ? I also have a whining but it seams to come from the pinion bearing.

Thanks
    E30S54 - Scale Suspension / Unix Performance Coilovers - 17x8 and 17x9 BBS E50

Bad u-joints or csb? Could also be rear shock mounts.

Comment

Have you replaced the differential bushing and engine/transmission mounts? Check the bolts on top of the subframe that mount the differential and check the drive shaft and half shafts for play. Take a look at the guibo and replace it if there are any cracks. Also look at the CSB. If it's rubber mount is torn you need to replace the CSB and drive shaft.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ok thanks guys, I'll check that this week !

Comment

Check your driveshaft flex disk as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

My dad had the same problem. We tried everything everyone could think of (including everything posted in this thread). It turns out that the locking collar nut on the back end of the driveshaft was loose, and after tightening it, the clunk was gone. It seemed like the driveshaft was like sliding back and forth, causing the clunk.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

dohcdoh is going to get on my case again but my load/unload driveline clunk was caused & fixed by whats in the pic

If you have to ask what they, buy a Kia now !!
              Attached Files
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I have solid engine mounts and E21 tranny mounts with cups. Brand new from last year.

Comment

I just looked at it and it seams to come from the guibo/tranny output area. What could do that. My guibo seams fine, no cracks.

Comment

i replaced my driveshaft with a 100k miles less one and it got rid of a hard ''thunk" i had. but i think i also have this clunk you're talking about. is it when you have the tranny in gear and try to turn the shaft back and forth and it clunks from the output of the tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by seth m42 View Post
                      i replaced my driveshaft with a 100k miles less one and it got rid of a hard ''thunk" i had. but i think i also have this clunk you're talking about. is it when you have the tranny in gear and try to turn the shaft back and forth and it clunks from the output of the tranny?
                      I will jack the car corectly later this week and check for everything you guys wrote.

Comment

Working...
                      X