Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy idea.. crawl under car and look at the diff's tag

Comment

i just said its not really there its rusted to shit so i cant read it. theres a idea!
      Originally posted by fronton
      He must have been staring right the pole, all the way into it. Happens to me playing mariokart every time.
      sigpic
      1982 F250 Built 351W-sold
      1994 325i-sold
      1987 325es-sold
      1991 318i Slicktop- work in progress

Comment

jack up the car and spin the driveshaft until the rear wheels make one complete revolution. Count the number of times the driveshaft spins and you will have your ratio.
        sigpic

Comment

What Jaxx said earlier is correct.

But if I remember correctly, I was reading a post here that there is an adjustment "screw" on the speedo for calibrating it. It involves using a machine for generating a pulse then using the "screw" to adjust the speedo reading.

I've verified my speedo is "off" but my odo is correct a couple different ways.

Also if you have an "open" diff. Jack up one side, mark the driveshaft and spin one wheel 2 revolutions and you'll get a very close idea of your ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
            jack up the car and spin the driveshaft until the rear wheels make one complete revolution. Count the number of times the driveshaft spins and you will have your ratio.

or you can do it 10 times and get it even more accurate. :)
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I have 3.73 gears and with my m20 I'm about at the same engine speed as yours at 65-70mph.

Originally posted by MattTHEe30GURU View Post
              Im driving at like 65-70 mph and it revs at 3100-3200 rpm. What rear end gears do i have?

Comment

Working...
              X