No announcement yet.

E30 rear end question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.... so after talking to him again today about this diff he claims its 100% and not 25%. Its a very rare find according to him. Maybe 500 a year made. Says the lockup is only under full power. Now I'm not a rear end guru and don't claim to be, but this is what he showed me...... turned the drivers side output and both sides spun. turned the input and nothing spun. Said it takes a load on the car to get it to spin. Tried to turn the outputs in reverse.... nothing. Can't turn it. WTF???????? He also said the 25% lockup is a normal thing for normal cars. This is a "m-packet" rear end that he's talking about. Only offered on cars with the ///m stuff. I dunno.... maybe there's a deeper gold mine in europe than we know about?

Comment

Originally posted by marakka
      turned the input and nothing spun.
      If nothing spins when you turn the input then the diff is broken... How would you drive the car? I don't belive that the diff would only let you drive at WOT.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
        I don't belive that the diff would only let you drive at WOT.
        i agree with this also: how does the diff know what throttle you're at.

Comment

Ok, think about that for a minute. You're in the middle of a turn and you punch it....if it locks at 100% with full throttle you're going to possibly spin both tires and spin out. One tire will be spinning with absolutely no traction.
          LSD's transfer power dependent on slip.
          Last edited by joshh; 11-26-2005, 12:11 PM.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

so 100% lockup LSD = diff lock ?

In which case, even if they are rare, I can't see many people wanting these.
            ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Once again.... I don't claim to be a diff genius.... but whats a "detroit locker" rear end? I'll have to get an interpretter because I can't understand what all he says about this thing as its specific words that I don't know....

Comment

Get the part number from him. That's a good start.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Not from the diff I'm talking about but one on a german auction....

4061006389 378784 S25 at least I think thats what that number is....

Comment

BMW never made anything more than a 25% diff for street cars! he is bullshittin you! My father has a 1955 chevy with a STRANGE FORD 9" rear axle. It is 100% lockup, and you know it, because you cant turn around a corner with out the diff slamming and popping-- sounds crazy. YOU CANNOT DRIVE A 100% diff on the street. the car would crash the first time it rains.
                    you would think, that if BMW made a diff like that for E30s, it would be in an M3-- and NO M3s have anything other than 3,25 or EVOs 3,15 25% diffs. trust me on this one, he is B.S.in you!

Comment

4.45's were E30 M3 stuff, 3.91lsd is typical of a 325T model. There are also 3.64lsd as well as numerous other oddballs.

S25 is lsd 25% lock up. And if you wanted more they had custom lock ups available for $.

Comment

Working...
                      X