Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'91 318is replacement transmission options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 318is replacement transmission options?

So I may or may not need to replace the transmission in my recently acquired '91 318is. Has an issue shifting into 4th gear above 45mph or so. Have been informed that fixing this via a rebuild is a serious PITFA and that it would be easier to simply grab a different transmission. With that in mind, do I have any options beyond the same unit? Any options from other series (E36 maybe?) that won't require a ton of massaging to fit? And so on.

TIA,
    fastgeek

Hey good to see you on here dude. This is Mrel from [H]ard. As far as tranny options go, I havn't heard anything bad about getrag 240's (the tranny you have now) and I'm not too aware of any sort of upgrade. I think the 240 is gonna be your best bet...

Comment

Well, not saying there's anything "wrong" with the Gertag 240 transmission in general. ;) Just saying that if I do have to replace it I'm simply wondering if other BMW transmissions will fit the bill *other* than the 240. :p Of course it might turn out that I'll be able to fix the griding issue via some other fix, but I'm not holding my breath!

Regards,
      fastgeek

Comment

Working...
      X