Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal SSK for E30? Not looking for big reduction

Hi all,

What are some popular brand SSKs for E30? Im not looking to get the entire kit with arm and rod, but just the shifter lever. I have Autosolutions 30% kit installed on my e46, but I dont want to spend so much on my e30. The ideal kit in e46 version would be the BMW performance shifter (330d shifter). What are some similar "level" shifter I can get for my e30?
    My 1990 325is Build Thread

Search?

Comment

I use the Z3 1.9, about a 35% reduction. Requires bending if you want the stock position, I prefer mine a little forward.

There are a million threads

GL
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have a Z4 2.5 on mine and love it. I can't really give you a percentage, but the throw is def shorter than stock, and a bit notchy. The height of the physical shifter is much shorter too. If you have the harmonic balancer still on, you will need to grind the selector rod a bit. I hear no modification is necessary if your car has no balancer (mine did). In the pic it is shifted in second gear.

E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

E30 m3 lever is slightly shorter and fully compatible. Z3 1.9 or e36 m3 lever is pretty short but somewhat notchy. Both are already bent like the e30 lever. Z3 1.9 is the most popular but the e36 m3 lever is about the same.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Get a Z3 1.9. The z4 is extremely short.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

AKG DTM.

shiny and expensive so you can tell all of your friends

I had a Z4M and hated it, a Z3 1.9 with delrin carrier bushings is about as good as it gets if you are on a budget.

Comment

e46 m3 is what i use, much better than the stock one, but still fells like a stock shifter should you dont notice it much unless you dive a shitty stock one then this right after or vise versa, also, they seem much easier/cheaper to get than the z3/z4 stuff
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256
                2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. While comparing it on the link provided above, looks like z4 levers give a huge reduction. E30 M3 shifter has a hefty price tag. $250 on ecs! I looked up the pricing for a new 1.9 z3 shifter, and I think this will do. :up:
                  My 1990 325is Build Thread

Comment

Welcome to R3V, home of how to do it cheap

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Out of topic, but your e30's interior is incredible!@

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                      I have a Z4 2.5 on mine and love it. I can't really give you a percentage, but the throw is def shorter than stock, and a bit notchy. The height of the physical shifter is much shorter too. If you have the harmonic balancer still on, you will need to grind the selector rod a bit. I hear no modification is necessary if your car has no balancer (mine did). In the pic it is shifted in second gear.

Comment

I have a z4 3.0 and love it. As do most people that drive my car. It has a very short throw & it sits fairly low.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Welcome to R3V, home of how to do it cheap
                          There's really nothing wrong with a cheap short shifter. I'd say it's only worth it to either get a different OEM lever for super cheap, or go all out and get AKG that bolts to the transmission tunnel. But I've felt an AKG shifter and in my opinion it's not worth the price tag. Maybe for a track car, but the difference is so minor that a good lever and delrin bushings in the front and rear will be almost indiscernible from an AKG.
                          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                            Maybe for a track car, but the difference is so minor that a good lever and delrin bushings in the front and rear will be almost indiscernible from an AKG.
                            I don't think you know what you're talking about.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I like E46 330i OEM Lever. No reason to have a ridiculously stubby lever and notchy feeling z3/4 when you can have the same shift movement with a 3 series unit.

Since you have a e46 with a short shift linkage unit installed, Why not just install the lever lying around your garage into your E30?

I think $0 is the amount I paid for mine and the 330 replaced a Z3 lever in my E30; I was happier. If desired a BMW performance sport shift knob for E90 would be a perfect way to lower the top length; it can be ordered from your local dealer with a 5 speed pattern if you have a 5 speed in your E30.
                              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                              X