Another 4hp22 toasted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 4hp22 toasted.

So just got my 87 325is and after 2 days it fried the front A clutch pack. No forward gears, reverse only. Im thinking of rebuilding myself as it seems to be an easy trans to work on after browsing google.

Im wondering what exactly i should purchase though. I know i need the new teflon seals and the front clutch packs. If the trans was fairly fine until all at once. Do i need a master rebuild? Would the valve body and converter be ok?

thanks

There's no such thing as an easy auto trans to work on and with used ones gathering dust almost everywhere and selling by the lb, you may just want to grab one.

Just sayin'
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Well maybe its just rebuilding the front a clutch pack that seems easy.

Looks like i need all the seals and new clutch disks. I guess i will pull it apart to see if it need the steels. This all happened at once and didnt really have an issue before so i dont think there will be any debris in the converter or valve body.

I want to try adding the shift kit springs in the valve body as well.

ebay looks like the best bet on oem parts.

Comment

its not as hard as everyone thinks to rebuild but used ones are incredibly cheap; were you revvin in park/ nuetral?

Also try a bottle of lucas trans fix , it came damn close to fixing by trans when it went out

Comment

I may have revved it once literally right before it went out. But I also saw in the carfax where it was repeatedly emissions tested not to long ago. Anyways the write ups for installing the new front a clutch pack seems straightforward. Just need to figure out what kit to buy and hopefully none of the other packs are damaged.

Comment

5spd swap. Then you can really fix that slushbox by throwing it in the landfill where it belongs!

Comment

Originally posted by slamdlsx View Post
              I may have revved it once literally right before it went out. But I also saw in the carfax where it was repeatedly emissions tested not to long ago. Anyways the write ups for installing the new front a clutch pack seems straightforward. Just need to figure out what kit to buy and hopefully none of the other packs are damaged.
              emmissions tesp places arent supposed to r3v in nuetral either doing so blows the seals if you didnt already know.

Comment

Yea I've read up on the trans alot. I think I may just order the correction kit and clutch disks and case gasket. I just hope the rest is ok.
                Last edited by slamdlsx; 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

if you revved it then it stopped working its just the "a" pack seriously truy that lucas stuff before you start openeing cases

Comment

anyone for sure know the number of frictions in the A pack? bulkparts.com says 5. But some pics look like there would be more.

Also any idea if i need any other seals/o-rings other than the case gasket once i pull the pump/bell housing off?

Comment

Working...
                    X