drive shaft questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drive shaft questions

OK so I have a 86 325es that I'm swapping a 87 325i motor into.

1) will my drive shaft work with this as long as I use the same transmission?

2) I need a CSB, did they make ones specific to the 325e drive shaft?

3) I need a guibo, on my trans it has the weird vibration damper thing where the guibo meets to the trans, so does that mean I need the small diameter guibo?

4) when I change my CSB should I paint my drive shaft so the splines go back the right way?

I just wanted some clarification before I do this stuff
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

(1) Yes
    (2) No, but the CSB has be the right for the car.
    (3) You need the guibo for the car
    (4) If the paint marks aren't visible on the drive shaft, renew the marks before doing anything with the drive shaft (and allow the paint to cure).

My recommendation is to toss the harmonic balancer when you remove the drive shaft. And before buying a CSB, pull the drive shaft and check the u-joints for binding. If they are binding, get a rebuilt drive shaft (it will come with a new CSB) if you get it from Drive Line Services and most other places.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

OK, so I can just completely remove the harmonic balancer? And I will be checking the u joints when I take it out.

How much would a rebuilt drive shaft cost for these cars?

Also does the CSB just press on to the drive shaft? Not sure how all of that works

Comment

bump

Comment

well...how did it go?
          I also plan on removing the balancer when the new guido goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by uuc328 View Post
            well...how did it go?
            I also plan on removing the balancer when the new guido goes in.
            removing the balancer is actually really easy i just sprayed some WD40 on the 3 pressed in bolts and tapped them out with a hammer then you gently tap the part of balancer that is metal and it pops right off
            88 325is Five Speed
            Lachssilber

Comment

got stuck at the output shaft nut. only the 1-1/16 sender socket was available locally.
              decided to make my own instead.

37.08mm OD
              30mm 6 point inside

Comment

finished up the balancer removal/seal replacement.
                no issues hammering out the studs but spent way too much time trying to hammer them flush. they will draw in when you tighten the 3 flange nuts through the guibo, doh.
                did not use the flange nut lock on reassembly. the OD on the tool is now a little thin but was necessary to remove the nut lock. was able to fit a standard 30mm socket without machining with the lock removed. don't forget thread seal on the splines and threads.

Comment

sorry i never updated this

i replaced my csb no prob, but i couldnt figure out how to get the vibration damper thing off untill i read the above posts. so i just hammer the 3 studs out and the damper should come off? so what is the 30mm socket bolt holding on?

Comment

yes, you put a nut on the bolt and give it one swift wack and it will pop loose.after all 3 bolts are out hit the harmonic balancer and it will pop loose and fall off. then out the bolts back in, pound them in, then mount the giubo with the arrows pointing toward the flanges.
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                    X