Getrag 220 on an M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 220 on an M20

Don't ask why...OK I'll tell you....Got 4 on the shelf here at work in Japan. Manual transmissions are rare as rocking horse poop in Japan, so my options are very limited.

Just bought an auto 320i and want to swap to manual transmission.

Can I use the Getrag 220 (They are all from Euro spec E36 318is) and if so, can I use M44 flywheel and clutch? Also can I use my original automatic M20 starter motor?

Drive shafts won't be a problem. Will make up a custom one if I have to. I don't want to have to import parts from all over the world. Custom 1-piece shaft is cheaply made, so can do that if I have to.

Unless any factory drive shaft will fit?

Here's a photo of the trannys we have in stock:

Thanks in advance guys.

I work at a BMW tuner, but have no experience of older model E30's. Apart from owning a few years ago when I was back home. Never needed to swap or repair anything as they were bullet proof. This time however, in Japan, there are ZERO (next to zero anyway) manual E30's. The only two manual tranny E30's for sale at the moment are $8000 each!

my auto 320i cost $1500 but it is in great shape. Hence I couldn't resist.

Here she is:

Thanks in advance guys!

Comment

IRC then m42 could fit g260 no problem. So did m20. So in theory m42 and m20 gearboxes should be interchangable. Only thing - they might not sit in the same angle - that would require custom gearbox mount and shifter stuff.

BTW neat e30.

Comment

Hello and thanks for the reply.

That's cool to know. Custom gearbox mount won't be a problem. Our fabricator is damn good. As long as I can find a flywheel and clutch in Japan then I'm happy. The rest we can make up...

Any idea about drive shaft?

Comment

Auto boxes are usually very long - thus short drive shafts. So you might need to lenghten it, if that is possible. Not sure. Also guibo could differ...

I have no idea about the clutch/flywheel though...

Comment

Originally posted by atmobenzin View Post
            IRC then m42 could fit g260 no problem. So did m20. So in theory m42 and m20 gearboxes should be interchangable. Only thing - they might not sit in the same angle - that would require custom gearbox mount and shifter stuff.

BTW neat e30.
            Correct, the M42 is at 30 degrees, and the M20 is at 20. Never measured it myself, but that's the internet consensus.
            1991 318i SOLD
            2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

OK guys.

I'll let you know what I find out and how I do it.

First thing is getting it registered and road legal before I start playing with it.

We have an OS Giken flywheel and clutch in stock for E36 318is, so hoping that will fit. Not sure about starter motor, and some other small things, but sure we will figure it out.

As long as the bolt pattern is same for engine and mission then i'm fairly happy

Comment

upyerheartwhat was the result?

Comment

Working...
                X