shaving a flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
    I asked my machinist about doing this and he was more than willing but required the crank so that he could balance them together. From what I've been reading this is not necessary............... Any ideas?
    The crank should already be balanced, so as long as he balances the flywheel, it should work.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
      As a reference... I just did this when I swapped in a 5spd. Photos:

Looks like you could have taken more off that.
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52
      Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

The crank does not need balancing. However, if you've got the pressure plate that you're going to use you could have him balance it with that (I did).

Here's the back of my shaved flywheel:

You could have taken some more off.

Comment

I'm about to have this done too.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what the step is for on the clutch side of the fw. I measured it this morning and it's only .010" which seems basically negligible compared to the overall thickness of the flywheel. Does this .010" really make a difference and why?

Also, should I remove the 3 dowel pins from the fw before taking it to the machinist, or will they do this?

thanks,
          sigpic

Comment

Anybody know what the significance of the flange is? Maybe a wear indicator?
            sigpic

Comment

What should I specify to have the flywheel reduced to 12-13lb? The flywheel thickness is already at 32mm (and it weighs 20lb now), so I don't see a way of removing any material from the clutch side, and the machinist I'm working with estimated that you could only remove about 3-4 lb from the crank side.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as this car is my DD and my only vehicle, so I would like to get it on the road again asap. Thanks!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X