shaving a flywheel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AdironRider
    replied
    M42 flywheels are the heavist at almost 28 lbs. You can swap in a m20 flywheel/ clutch and modify the starter and you should be money.

    Leave a comment:


  • Berlin
    replied
    what about m42 flywheels

    Leave a comment:


  • MrK
    replied
    How about just swapping the flywheel for one from an e21? Anyone know if that would work?

    Leave a comment:


  • Digitalwave
    replied
    You could say that, since you are minimizing driveline loss.

    Leave a comment:


  • sweetride01
    replied
    Is it somewhat comparable to adding hp?

    Leave a comment:


  • Digitalwave
    replied
    The average shaved M20 flywheel goes from 19-20 lbs to down to 13-15 lbs. The difference of 5-6lbs is VERY noticable, as it would be in the 5-6lbs additional difference from a shaved M20 flywheel to an aluminum one.

    Leave a comment:


  • erik325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave
    Most aluminum flywheels are 8lbs, you can't come close to that with a stock one.
    Does that extra three pounds make a big difference?

    -Erik

    Leave a comment:


  • Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetride01
    Is there any point whatsoever in buying a lightweight flywheel, if you can have the stock one made almost as light for 1/4 of the cost?
    Most aluminum flywheels are 8lbs, you can't come close to that with a stock one.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ray Smoodiver
    replied
    Mine went in like this at 19.35lbs:



    Came out at 13.55lbs like this:

    Leave a comment:


  • sweetride01
    replied
    Is there any point whatsoever in buying a lightweight flywheel, if you can have the stock one made almost as light for 1/4 of the cost?

    Leave a comment:


  • SlammedE30
    replied
    I've got a machinist who's done about 5 or 6 E30 flywheels for me. The avg. weight ended up at 13lbs, I had mine done even lower to 11lbs. No problems whatsoever, so the estimate of 6lbs being the max you can remove is probably just to cover your machinist's ass.
    -Ted

    Leave a comment:


  • Digitalwave
    replied
    My flywheel was 15lbs when finished, Jordan's is 12lbs. It really depends on your machinist.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30 gangsta
    replied
    Originally posted by erik325i
    If you look at the flywheel, you will see a huge mass of material on the back of the flywheel. You can safely remove all of that material with no ill effects. If you do that, I think it will bring it down to around 12 lbs I think. There is no real point of only shaving off a few pounds. If you are going to do it, might as well remove all of that material from the back of the FW.

    -Erik
    Incorrect. ( I think ) They told me max was 6 lb before the flywheels looses it rigidity and starts warping. I got a few pounds taken off and it balanced out ok. I wouldnt go more than 6 pounds on mine. Anyone wanna chime in on this.

    Leave a comment:


  • erik325i
    replied
    Originally posted by silverfbimmer
    I thought a stock flywheel is like 24lbs. I could be wrong. I have also heard people getting them down to 12lbs also. E30 gangsta is if better to only have a few pounds shaved off?
    If you look at the flywheel, you will see a huge mass of material on the back of the flywheel. You can safely remove all of that material with no ill effects. If you do that, I think it will bring it down to around 12 lbs I think. There is no real point of only shaving off a few pounds. If you are going to do it, might as well remove all of that material from the back of the FW.

    -Erik

    Leave a comment:


  • silverfbimmer
    replied
    I thought a stock flywheel is like 24lbs. I could be wrong. I have also heard people getting them down to 12lbs also. E30 gangsta is if better to only have a few pounds shaved off?

    Leave a comment:

Working...