Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between late 325e & 325i output shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between late 325e & 325i output shafts?

Does anybody know if there is there any difference between 1988 325 / 325e ABS output shafts (33211225893) and the late model 325i ABS output shafts (33211226901) / 33211226900?

Thanks

The output and drive flanges seem to be the same on both models as are the rear axle carries, so it would seem that the axle assembles should be interchangeable.

Comment

I am also curious why there are different part numbers for a car that has the same engine family, diff, subframe and hubs. It's all interchangeable, so I don't see why the axles wouldn't be. Perhaps the shape of the splines are different? That's something to check out.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        I am also curious why there are different part numbers for a car that has the same engine family, diff, subframe and hubs. It's all interchangeable, so I don't see why the axles wouldn't be. Perhaps the shape of the splines are different? That's something to check out.
        If the hubs are the same, wouldn't the splines have to be as well? Looks like the cv boots have different part numbers so maybe the cv joints are different? Even if the cv joints are different, they should work on either model (e,i) I would think.

Comment

When I say the hubs are the same, I mean they fit in the bearings and appear identical. I can't say for sure that the splines are all the same shape or not. I have heard about people having to shave down the splines on certain aftermarket axles to get them to fit their hubs. The difference in the PN's could be squared vs pointed splines. Check RealOEM to see if they list different PN's for rear hub assemblies.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

When I say the hubs are the same, I mean they fit in the bearings and appear identical. I can't say for sure that the splines are all the same shape or not. I have heard about people having to shave down the splines on certain aftermarket axles to get them to fit their hubs. The difference in the PN's could be squared vs pointed splines. Check RealOEM to see if they list different PN's for rear hub assemblies.
            ETK hub PN's are the same = same spline, I would imagine. I think that the spline problems you reference are related to damage (mushrooming) rather that different sized or spaced teeth.

Comment

Nope, my buddy Colin bought some new aftermarket axles and had to file them down stating the shape was different. I will see if I can find the thread.

There you go. Looks like the only sure bet is to have your old ones rebuilt.
              Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Nope, my buddy Colin bought some new aftermarket axles and had to file them down stating the shape was different. I will see if I can find the thread.
                Ok, but isn't that an aftermarket QC issue rather than a model-based difference? Just got off the phone with Pelican and they couldn't figure out what the difference would be other than cv joint design. Wheel hub the same must mean spline the same, from their perspective.

Comment

There you go. Looks like the only sure bet is to have your old ones rebuilt.
                  thanks

Comment

Could be... if they completely built the axles using their own parts vs rebuilding OEM units.

Comment

Working...
                    X