Slave Cylinder Failure (ZF M50)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slave Cylinder Failure (ZF M50)

Okay, Just got to the point of buttoning up this swap (m50,ZF in 91 318is). We bled and bolted up the slave cylinder to the bell housing. As we did this we gave the engine a start and wanted to give the clutch a feel, felt very stiff from master cylinder. After a few pumps we started to notice a horrible grinding noise after the next few pumps we stopped and Oh shit.

Looking at it, I think the root cause was that we did not set the throw-out-bearing correctly.

Can one of you confirm that we are complete idiots.

Thanks

Last edited by bmpde30; 09-29-2013, 10:00 AM.

Yes, the picture labeled "OK" is how a throwout bearing should be installed. The flats should be aligned with the flats on the clutch fork. "NOK" usually results in weird clutch feel but I guess something happened where the travel of the shift fork wasn't limited by the TOB so that it interfered with the pressure plate.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Great, thanks for the insight, Hopefully A new Slave and fork will do the trick. Wonder also if different slaves will give a different feel or if I should go with the Stock ZF for M50, the M42 Slave looks a bit shorter

Comment

Originally posted by bmpde30 View Post
        Great, thanks for the insight, Hopefully A new Slave and fork will do the trick. Wonder also if different slaves will give a different feel or if I should go with the Stock ZF for M50, the M42 Slave looks a bit shorter
        You can use any slave from g250/ZF sg310/ ZF sg320 transmissions

All e36 6 cylinder cars
        All e39 6 cylinder cars
        All e46 6 cylinder cars.

The sizes of bore differ in Oem application so you can tune the feel to your personal liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
        X