Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single or Dual Mass Flywheel on my e30? How to tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single or Dual Mass Flywheel on my e30? How to tell?

Hello Guys
    Im about to do a clutch job on my 1986 (September) 325 E30. VIN 9698847
    Is there a way to tell if I have the dual or single mass without tearing the car apart?

The cost of dropping the transmission is super high just to find out what I have. Also I need all the parts in advance.

Realoem shows dual mass flywheel and a sprung clutch, but by reading 30+ posts I discovered that anything can be possible within BMW internals hehehe

Is there any other way to tell wich one I have?

thanks!
    _Mariano

Good question, according to Realoem used from 12/1986. Who has a way to visually confirm? Some kind of cover, plate, boot? Is the Dual Mass thicker?
    sigpic
    Reich und Roll!

Comment

There is a way to tell. the duel mass looks like it has two plates on it and i think with springs inbetween them from what i remember, single mass looks like it's just one plate, it's way thinner. Just google image's on them

Comment

^ He's trying to ID from the outside without cracking things open.

I don't believe there is a visual way to to ID front the outside, at least from what I've seen. But I do know the flywheels well. For one, that cross-over date is extremely ambiguous; I've seen dual mass flywheel setups on cars later than it and vice-versa with the late-style single mass setup. In regard to the Dual Mass flywheel there were two versions (not documented in ETK/realoem).
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Check this out it's the same on e30's I had a duel and needed a single mass when doing my swap and found this link.http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...question/page2

Comment

Working...
          X