Can not align/bolt up transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not align/bolt up transmission

So I have this m52 and zf trans, s52 clutch installed, put the clutch in with the side marked "gearbox" facing the trans. I get the input shaft at least partially into the clutch splines but it will not go on any further. I have about a 1 1/2" gap. I've tried tightening up what bolts I could get started to pull it together, it was resistant to the point I didn't want to push the issue any further.

Think I just need to clean up and grease the input shaft? I mounted the clutch with the longer splined portion facing the engine.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Did you use a clutch alignment tool? The likely cause is that the clutch disk is not aligned with the pilot bearing.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Used the alignment tool. My money is on the bearing, I tried to remove but did not have the proper bearing puller.I'm thinking I misaligned the pilot or have it partially pulled out.
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

You could have pulled the pilot bearing partially out, but I can't think of a way it could be misaligned.

I don't know what alignment tool you used. I've had poor experiences with the molded plastic parts as they aren't a precision fit in the splines in the clutch disk. The pro type tools, made of machined metal, or an old transmission input shaft works every time.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yes, it was a borrowed molded plastic tool. I will try to fully seat the pilot and re align the clutch disk with a more careful eye tonight.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Turns out the input shaft was just a very close fit and needed some persuasion to go into the pilot bearing.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
            X