Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st sticks when cold - Help Needed

hey everyone.

I am really new around here. pretty new to owning an e30 as well. I have a 89 325i. its a bit of a restoration project.
    When i got it, the shift linkage was all messed up. I installed the linkage bushing rebuild kit from pelicanparts and its much improved. Its been about a week driving the car consistently and now i get to feel the real problems :) I have noticed that in the mornings the first couple of shifts are difficult to get out of 1st gear... it goes in pretty smoothly :nice:. Feels like its is stuck, it comes out using more force that usual which is accompanied by a subtle thud. and a couple times(when really cold) it grinds transitioning to second. when warm the shifting is better, however not perfect. I am fairly sure the 2nd syncros are worn. Seems being cold makes it worse. even letting the car warm in neutral helps out. I am considering attempting a rebuild. any ideas on what might be causing this issue, shift forks? i am not sure. I haven't even changed my trans oil yet but will be very soon.

Change the fluid. Redline MTL would be a good choice in the Bay area.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

"really cold"

I guess for us that's when it is below 40F lol. Like jlevie said, change the fluid. For all you know, there's almost none left in there!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Change the fluid. Redline MTL would be a good choice in the Bay area.
        I'm on it, hopefully get to it this weekend.

lol. very true sir, 40 above would be really cold around here :P. That was a poor choice of words on my part... what I meant was if I were to start the in the morning and allow no warm up, just drive off. that first time I shift out of 1st gear its rough. With any luck the Redline MTL will do me right. should have done it when I was under there last weekend!

Comment

I had hard shifting problems and then I put in the redline fluid and it all went away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
            I had hard shifting problems and then I put in the redline fluid and it all went away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
            encouraging! im on my way to pick up some redline and a hand pump. in the other car for now :mrgreen:

Comment

ok several weeks later i'm back to revive the thread.
              I haven't been driving it much since hearing what ya'll had to say. I finally got under the car (been busy) last weekend and I found a big pain in the ass. The fill bolt is striped to all hell. Looks like someone took a slightly too small hex wrench and wore out the nut. Then attempted to remove by clamping the outside. Its a mess. I tried for a bit but didn't get too crazy with it, tried a little heat. didn't have any vice grips at the time. I tried to JBweld a short bolt to where the hex used to be, that popped out with minimal torque.

I am wondering if there could by an alternate location to fill this thing. It looks like no, but wanted to ask. any bright ideas on removing this bolt, there is still a good amount of bolt exposed to clamp onto at this point. so little room in there to do stuff, thoughts on welding a allen wrench or similar in there?

Comment

I have the same problem as OP, excepot second gear. After the first shift or two it shifts like normal again.

Comment

i'm curious how long this has this been a problem for you?

Comment

Try tapping the drain plug out with a chisel and hammer. You will want to get a new plug first to replace the old one though (part number 23117527440). See 8:20 in this video:

He is using a center punch, but because of the shape of the drain plug, a chisel might work better. You want a chisel like this:

As far as the hard shifting goes, you might try bleeding the clutch as well. Air in the system might be causing the slave to not move quite far enough when cold. Here is a good how-to:

Comment

Stick a short piece of 14mm allen in the plug and weld it in.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

A conclusion. I was able to finally to remove the fill bolt with some vicegrips and significant clamping force. Got the redline mtl. The problem is gone. Smooth shifting through all gears! Really happy with the outcome. Thx for the helpful advice, jim and others

Comment

Working...
                        X