• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intrestin Thread keep the ideas coming.
    BTW. LS1 > EURO S50 in an e30.

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

the easiest way to do this is carb it..... unless you know extensive wiring, and how to interface old german wiring with newer domestic wiring. then carb it... fire some an after market tach spedo + other misc gauges, and be done.....

i've wired complete "rally" race trucks with 383 strokers (mmmmm 500lb/ft and 500 hp mmmmm) in about half a day, all gauges, working brake lights head lamps etc....

Comment

Originally posted by BahnE30
        the easiest way to do this is carb it..... unless you know extensive wiring, and how to interface old german wiring with newer domestic wiring. then carb it... fire some an after market tach spedo + other misc gauges, and be done.....

i've wired complete "rally" race trucks with 383 strokers (mmmmm 500lb/ft and 500 hp mmmmm) in about half a day, all gauges, working brake lights head lamps etc....
        Do you have any ideas of where to get the wiring. I saw someone with the gauge cluster I could do I will have to find the thread though really quick.

Want to help if this all goes through like I plan?

Something like the pic? I couldn't find the cluster pic that a member did to his that I liked
        Attached Files

Comment

I am doing the same swap... here is a list of problem spots I wish I knew of before.

1. Oil pan will not fit but an aluminum 7 quart oil pan can be fabricated easily w/ new pickup
          2. The driver side manifold will not clear steering even if converted to manual, so again a custom one must be made.
          3. I made custom mounting points on the front frame itself.
          4. The electric fan must be used in front of radiator (pusher)
          5. Tranny mount is stupid easy to make since there is a slider bolt system.
          6. Painless makes a wiring harness and fuse system so it is easy to wire up.
          7. A rebuilt E30 LSD will hold the power just fine but I suggest nothing higher than 3.25.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefreak
            7. A rebuilt E30 LSD will hold the power just fine but I suggest nothing higher than 3.25.
            So you don't recommend the 3.73?

Also do you have any more info. such as pics of the swap so far and links of things that you have bought for it so far?

I need as much help as possible to keep coming with the suggestions everyone.

Thanks

Comment

with a 3.73 the first gear is completely useless... No I have no pics of it as of yet.

Autometer makes gauges that work perfect all you have to do is wire them up.

I had the exhaust manifold, oilpan, and mounts made by a local guru named Jeff Hallowell... He makes the best tube frame dragster chassis I have ever seen.

with my mounts I had almost three inches of clearance on the hood..

with good coilovers and a bigger sway bar the handling feels better than stock

O and the biggest one Is you either have to switch to manual brakes or fit the 540i's remote brake booster system (which I did)

Comment

O and the biggest one Is you either have to switch to manual brakes or fit the 540i's remote brake booster system (which I did)
                Was this really difficult?

Comment

someone on LS1tech its doing a swap as well

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

no the hardest part was finding the whole thing esp. the linkage. otherwise you need to notch the shock tower support.

Comment

the guys at 666 are lookin for someone to donate a car and engine and tranny so they can make a ls1 swap kit
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

no the hardest part was finding the whole thing esp. the linkage. otherwise you need to notch the shock tower support.
                        So can I use the factory brakes; rotors ect. and just hook the new system up with some fab. work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse
                          So can I use the factory brakes; rotors ect. and just hook the new system up with some fab. work?
                          You could, but it wouldn't be advisable. You're considering transplanting in a powerplant which will provide you with double the horsepower and torque. If you're gonna make it go fast, better hope you have brakes which are up to the task. Having said that, here are some options (none of which are really 'affordable')....

E30 M3 brakes - requires swapping out strut assemblies and trailing arms along with all the related brake stuff (requires going to 5x120 bolt pattern wheels)

E36 parts - fronts struts from an E36 car (preferrably and M3) and rear trailing arm assemblies from an 318ti or E36/8 M coupe...the latter having larger vented discs (requires going to 5x120 bolt pattern wheels)

Big brake kit - there are a few vendors that offer these, just look around

Jon
                          Rides...
                          1991 325i - sold :(
                          2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I would probably go for the big brake kit. I don't really want to spend a shit ton of money on going 5 lug, it really doesn't appeal to me although I like the look of some of the 5 luggers I think there are enough nice wheels that are in 4's

Comment

The caliber of questions you are asking lead me to beleive you have a shitload of research to do before getting your hands dirty. It will save you money down the line if you do everything right the first time.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
                                The caliber of questions you are asking lead me to beleive you have a shitload of research to do before getting your hands dirty. It will save you money down the line if you do everything right the first time.
                                Yes I know...haha. I have to research a lot but I am glad that I started this disscusion b/c I didn't really know where to go to find info. Please keep it coming though

Comment

Working...
                                X