2nd gear pop out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gear pop out

I have a zf trans in my new m50 swap and when I kick the clutch in I get a thumping noise.also, 2nd gear always pops into neutral, and I have a rattle with clutch depressed in neutral

syncho is done in 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      syncho is done in 2nd
      True

Comment

Sounds like one of the shift forks is worn out - a bad synchro'll make the trans grind when you try to put it in gear. The forks are what keeps the dog clutch/synchro ring on the selected gear. Pads/fork wears out, you get some slop in the fork and boom the trans can now pop outta gear. Not sure if the ZF has fork pads or if it's one piece, but either way you're gonna need a new (or used) trans.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
          Sounds like one of the shift forks is worn out - a bad synchro'll make the trans grind when you try to put it in gear. The forks are what keeps the dog clutch/synchro ring on the selected gear. Pads/fork wears out, you get some slop in the fork and boom the trans can now pop outta gear. Not sure if the ZF has fork pads or if it's one piece, but either way you're gonna need a new (or used) trans.
          ^ Shift fork or syncro sleeve is worn out, as stated the syncro itself just matches the 2 turning gear sets in the transmission to be able to shift into the desired gear. The forks and sleeves are what hold them in the gear selected.
          sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

What about the crazy rattle at idle when the engine is cold and in neutral, and the thumping noise when I push the clutch in

Comment

Throw out bearing, or clutch fork bearing.
              sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

Originally posted by socalife View Post
                What about the crazy rattle at idle when the engine is cold and in neutral
                Google Getrag rattle.
                sigpic
                Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

But it's a zf

Comment

Zf rattle? Lol. Rattling in neutral will not be TOB.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X