1st gear grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st gear grind

A problem I am starting to have is grinding in 1st gear from a stop. If I am at a complete stop, I will push the clutch all the way down, and when I put it into first, it will usually grind, then go in. Sometimes it will be a loud grind, and sometimes it won't be too bad and be quick. What I have to do to avoid it, is when slowing down to a stop, I will clutch in and start to push stick into 1st, and let it slide in once I am at a complete stop, then stay stopped at the light or whatever with the clutch in. I checked the transmission oil and it was clean, the PO had changed it about 6 months ago. I took it to a shop and they couldn't replicate the problem (I don't think they tried), but they said I needed to replace the shifter cup, bushing, and joint. Would replacing those fix the 1st gear grinding issue?

It's probably your clutch- hopefully you're just low on brake fluid.

Or maybe the pilot bearing.

It does it in reverse, too, doesn't it?

If not, you might have a really boogered- up shift mechanism...
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
      Nope, it doesn't ever do it in reverse. However, I forgot to mention that the clutch pedal is kinda of loose. There is about an inch of travel where nothing happens, kinda like this.

Comment

t
        The Pilot bearing has nothing to do with it grinding 1st gear. Check for low fluid in the brake reservoir, air in the clutch line, bent shift selector.
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

The Pilot bearing has nothing to do with it grinding 1st gear
          Unless it is failing and seizing. Then it will do exactly what the OP described.

BUT, if it doesn't grind going into reverse, it kinda sounds like the
          gearshift is hanging up a bit too far forward, and getting past the first gear synchro...

See if you can sort out the clutch travel first...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Unless it is failing and seizing. Then it will do exactly what the OP described.

BUT, if it doesn't grind going into reverse, it kinda sounds like the
            gearshift is hanging up a bit too far forward, and getting past the first gear synchro...

See if you can sort out the clutch travel first...

t
            That's news to me...the input shaft is one piece with 4th gear so if anything it would be 4th doing what your saying.

Can anyone else confirm what Toby is saying?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
            sigpic
            Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

No, I'm talking about the pilot bearing between the engine and transmission.
              They don't often fail, but when they do, they mimic a clutch that's not
              releasing properly...

hth

t

Comment

Do you have any ideas what could be causing the clutch travel issue?

Comment

Working...
                X