vibration ONLY when I let off the throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibration ONLY when I let off the throttle

This is really just a sanity-check. The rallykar ran fine yesterday, but on the (3-hour, all-highway) drive home I was noticing a slight "rumble" or vibration from the mid/back of the car that only happened when I let off the throttle or had very light throttle.

On the throttle hard it is smooth (well, as smooth as an M42 car with solid engine mounts can be). Seems to happen in all the top gears (hard to tell in low gears) when I let off it kind of rumbles. By the time it got home, it almost felt like I had a loose wheel (lugs and wheel bearings are good, so it's not that).

Other (possibly related) symptom is that recently when I accelerate hard(ish) and then lift quickly, the rear end of the car seems to "step out".

1. when coasting in gear or out of gear, no vibration/rumble
    2. when on the gas at half or full throttle, no vibration/rumble
    3. rumble/vibration only apparent when I let off the throttle or coast in gear, or are on light throttle.
    4. transmission shifts great, and smooth
    5. diff fluid was replaced a month or two ago (full synthetic for LSD, same stuff I've always used)
    6. I have not greased any DS fittings in a good while....

I have my suspicions about what it is, but want some unbiased opinions before I take the car apart. This is a rallycross car, so it is REALLY dirty under there, lol. The less time I spend underneath searching for problems, the better. :)
    Last edited by irish44j; 10-13-2014, 09:11 AM.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

you sure the wheel bearings are good? kinda sounds like a wheel bearing issue. I guess it could be the axles or the diff too.. hard to diagnose over the internet though.

Comment

Let me know what you find, as I have had the same issue for years. Everything is new in my car except the diff, but I have swapped in three diffs and still have it.
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
        you sure the wheel bearings are good? kinda sounds like a wheel bearing issue. I guess it could be the axles or the diff too.. hard to diagnose over the internet though.
        yep. and a wheel bearing issue would manifest when coasting, on throttle, etc. This issue isn't speed-dependent at all, it's only dependend on the throttle load on the rear end.

And trust me...this is a rallycross car. I know well what a trashed wheel bearing sounds like, lol.
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
          Let me know what you find, as I have had the same issue for years. Everything is new in my car except the diff, but I have swapped in three diffs and still have it.
          my initial suspicion is that a u-joint in the DS is bad, or seizing. I never got around to greasing the DS before this season, and we're running in dirt and gravel and mud so all kinds of junk gets up in there. ALso could be tat the slip-joint collar is loose.

Just a PITA to get to all that since my exhaust isn't exactly "stock" lol.
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I have a brand new rebuilt driveshaft, new csb, new axles, wheel Bearings, t/a bushings, subframe bushings, you name it.
            Sound is still there for me. It's right at lightest of throttle, like coasting, and it's there.....grumbling.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

well, just got under the car and took the heat shields off, etc. CSB looks good (it only has about 10k miles on it), guibo still looks brand-new. All bolts are tight. when I have a helper spin the wheels no clicks or noises from the DS and no sign of any binding of UJs. Both wheels spin smooth and zero bearing play. Diff is still being an LSD :)

ONE things I did find though is that the "cap" on the outer CV on one side (the metal cap piece on the actual CV joint where the outer boot attaches) has come off at an angle, and as you spin the wheel it slips on and off.

So.....that may be the culprit. Not a mechanical issue though and I don't know why it would only affect things when at lightest throttle, but I guess it could cause enough imbalance to cause a vibration. Also since this is a rallycross car I suppose it could have let some mud or water or crap into the actual joint. So I guess the plan will be to put a new axle on that side (probably do the bearing while I'm at it since I have a spare sitting around anyhow), and see what happens from there.

Else it's just a grumpy, 29-year-old diff I guess. Already looking around for a replacement. I've been thinking about changing ratios anyhow so might be a good time to see what is out there.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Just re-read the first post, holy crap you've got balls of steel driving 6 hours to and from a rally event. And here I thought driving 3 hours was bad for me going to Summit :drink:

But yeah man, I don't know what it could be.. could be so many things. But considering it's rally, I guess something could've come loose and/or fallen off.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                  Just re-read the first post, holy crap you've got balls of steel driving 6 hours to and from a rally event. And here I thought driving 3 hours was bad for me going to Summit :drink:

But yeah man, I don't know what it could be.. could be so many things. But considering it's rally, I guess something could've come loose and/or fallen off.
                  lol....almost all of us drive there (including the four BMWs at the last event). I tow there for 2-day events but gas cost is too steep for just the one-day. If something breaks, that's way I have Triple-A :)

It's less than a 3 hour drive there though, not 6 (unless you meant combined there and back). When we went to Ohio (6-7 hours) I trailered the car there.
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Any progress on finding the culprit?

I just replaced my driveshaft with a Beyer Driveline reman, new CSB, and nearly new flex disc.

I still have a vibration mostly when I accelerate HARD then let off to partial or no-throttle. I am beginning to suspect there's a little bit of binding in the diff clutches and steels, so I'm going to try to squirt some friction modifier into my diff.

I have poly engine and transmission mounts.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

a u-joint in the DS is bad, or seizing.
                      Or the driveshaft is slightly out of balance, or the center support's not preloaded enough.

I've also had slightly bent diff flanges do that- a few thou of runout seems to do it. More, and it's driveline vibes all the time.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I did a diff fluid change with 4oz FM and nothing changed. Diff does seem a bit quieter though.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                        X