VERY sloppy shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY sloppy shifter

Hey guys so when I bought my car the PO said it had a short shifter in it (even though its not that short) but it is very loose. I stalled the other day because i was in fourth gear but there was so much play that I thought it was neutral! I got under the car and looked to see that there was a lot of play between part #10 and the shift rod itself as well as part #10 and #13. I don't know if that is my problem or if it is my bushings or what. Please help, Id rather not stall again on accident :roll:
    Attached Files

If you drive a manual you're going to stall it sometimes. Because manual, and that's all.
    If you don't stall sometimes - once a month or so - you're slipping the clutch too much.

That said, I did change a bunch of shifter bushings this year because selection was getting too random. Because I'm stupid I tried to do the job without removing the driveshaft but managed to change everything but #13. #18 is spawn of Satan. #3 is called the bitch clip for a good reason.
    Made a quite an improvement once #6 wore in a bit and now there's a real difference between the 1st gear position and 3rd gear. I think the new parts #s 2, 8 and 6 made the most difference.
    I'm going to be swapping the engine soon, and when I do I will dance on #18's grave.

Comment

How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by SubDad View Post
        If you drive a manual you're going to stall it sometimes. Because manual, and that's all.
        If you don't stall sometimes - once a month or so - you're slipping the clutch too much.
        You're trolling, right?

Comment

2 and 13 are your best bang for the buck but its not that expensive to do everything in there. and easy to do except the bitch clip. But overall not too bad
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Don't forget #19, NO ONE ever changes that, and it helps with slop, too.

Comment

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
                Don't forget #19, NO ONE ever changes that, and it helps with slop, too.
                Agreed Comes with 13
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post

Qft

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Not sure if bad driver, or good troll.

Comment

i also replaced everything without dropping the driveshaft. no fun. to get the "bitchclip" out i had to loosen the trans crossmember and lower it enough to get it out. just save yourself the hassle and drop the driveshaft. i bought most of my parts from bmw of south atlanta and got a UUC selector rod and z4 2.5 shift lever from the classifed section here. also installed the garagistic carrier bushings

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                      IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

The bitch clip is one of the easiest things on the planet with the right tool, and you have two options.

And they both happen to come in this $1.99 pack.

Amazing deals on this 4Pc Mini Pick & Hook Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
                            :giggle:

Comment

Working...
                            X