Weird flywheel chatter noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird flywheel chatter noise

Installed a new clutch kit with TOB 5000 miles ago. I took my car out of storage from about 4 months of being stored recently. It's making this weird flywheel chatter noise but it's the stock flywheel. I don't know why, as the car is shifting as smooth as it always has. It especially makes the noise when I downshift and let it engine brake. The pitch changes when I'm in neutral with the clutch in and I put it in first gear and let it rest there (as the video kind of shows). It sounds like a very exaggerated Getrag rattle. Perhaps im low on trans fluid? I know I have had a small little drip for quite some time but I don't know how low trans fluid would make that noise. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Help me internet!
    Originally posted by TSI
    OEM+

Comment

:(
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

your gears sound quite loud, from what I can hear. Obviously it isn't your flywheel chattering, it is something from the input shaft to the output shaft. (gearbox)

Have you topped off your fluid? I would start there...
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I have not topped off the fluid, but I will do that.

The reason I don't think its the FW/Clutch/PP is because the noise happens when it's all engaged so that makes sense.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

Working...
          X