I have a opposite Guibo....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a opposite Guibo....

So as we all know, the Guibo needs to be installed a certain way before it blows up down the road. I'm just checking out my new Meyle Guibo ordered from FCP and notice it to be a little odd. Part #26111225624/Meyle #3141520001 Now I'm looking at all the tutorials and whatnot, it looks that it has the arrows pointing in the opposite direction.

Here is what I've found from almost ALL of the e30 manual guibos out there.

Now mine is a little different no matter which way you flip it. It looks exactly the same as my existing one and the rest out there but the arrows are pointing in the opposite direction.

What was this made for Australia? What is going on here? Do the arrows, gaps and thicker sections actually make a difference, as in it was just the way they manufactured it? It's my understanding that the thick sections on the guibos and arrows have to do with the torque generated from the tranny- meaning that as the guibo spins counter clockwise, the driveshaft flange is also contained in that same thicker section. Torque from tranny>Driveshaft via thicker sections...not the gaps as it looks in this instance.

Wondering if I should just trust the arrows and install that way or follow the rest of the Guibos out there. Any insight will be helpful
    Last edited by Klug; 02-05-2015, 08:30 PM.
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

The load is designed to travel through the thick portion of the guibo. I would install it that way regardless of where the arrows are, particularly on an aftermarket part.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I ended up not following the arrows and mounted it through the thicker sections GAP/Driveshaft/Transmission/GAP all the way around the guibo.

I'll report back if this thing blows up down the road.
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

IIRC, the arrows point to the flange side so it doesn't matter if they are UP/DOWN or DOWN/UP as long as they alternate. In other words, 3 bolts are facing forward and the other 3 are facing the rear. I know, I know...some people have all 6 facing the same direction and didn't report any ill effects but that's what the arrows are for.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

4 months later- still no stress issues mounting it this opposite way. Still looks new after 1k miles.
          555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Working...
          X