Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible, terrible 325e rear end/drive shaft vibrations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible, terrible 325e rear end/drive shaft vibrations.

So ever since I got my e30 back in February of last year I've had a slight drivetrain/rear end vibration.

It's gotten so bad lately it will actually vibrate my drive shaft bolts out. New ones are on the way but right now I'm rocking 2 out of 3 which sucks.

Initially, I thought okay must be csb or guibo. A friend who works for bmw as a tech and I climbed under the car, csb and guibo are beautiful, no cracking or dryness of the rubber and they are solid.
    So maybe an unbalanced tire? Got new wheels and tires and my buddy who is the tech at bmw balanced them for me.

I've also had two different differentials since this problem started, no difference between the two.

I have no idea the condition of my bushings in the rear, and now that I think about it, we didn't check to make sure the csb was preloaded towards the front of the car.

Symptoms are bad vibrations when accelerating, and really bad vibrations from 50/60mph - 80mph.

And also if I dump the clutch say in the wet, or do a brake stand, the rear end hops and thumps like crazy, only in a straight line, if it's slightly sideways it's smooth as butter, but in a straight line it is progressively louder and heavier thumps like a jack hammer or someone falling down a flight of wooden stairs behind you.

I need help diagnosing this, I would take it into the shop but I'm waiting on those driveshaft bolts so they can look for another issue causing the vibrations.

Any thoughts or ideas and solutions would be great.

Thanks r3v,

Pantless.

unbalanced DS? I did U joints on a volvo once and in the process bent the shat. I have no idea how it got bent but it wasnt like that before, and there was bad drive line vibrations after.

Comment

Unbalanced driveshaft, or your cv joints are done.

Comment

Well somebody told me, that you had some car trouble

That sounded like car trouble I had in February of last year

It's not confidential, it's got potential

To be the bushings if the rear end hops and thumps like crazy when you're rushin and rushin arouuuuund

Comment

Originally posted by TSI View Post
          Unbalanced driveshaft, or your cv joints are done.
          the weird thing being that in my past, bad driveshaft balance or u joints failing typically damaged the CSB and or giubo, but that was in the e21, CSB wasnt as sturdy...

CV joints as in my half shafts? how can i check those out to make sure there okay? i do know one of the CV boots in the rear is slightly torn.

Originally posted by Self Made View Post
          Well somebody told me, that you had some car trouble

That sounded like car trouble I had in February of last year

It's not confidential, it's got potential

To be the bushings if the rear end hops and thumps like crazy when you're rushin and rushin arouuuuund
          haha diggin your version of that killers song.
          but do you think bad rear end bushings would cause accelerating and high speed vibrations? im sure my bushings in the rear end are pretty bad, assuming there oem based off of crustyness.

i put in a used driveshaft bolt and obviously that has helped a lot, but im still getting vibration accelerating and past 40-50

Comment

Having the same issue on a 325e Baur, did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sub-frame bushing good?

Comment

Working...
              X