Can I convert an open diff carrier to be a LSD carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I convert an open diff carrier to be a LSD carrier

I have 325es with a 2.93 LSD. The bearings are going out in it so I recently purchased a complete 3.15 open diff from much newer Z3 to swap in. I was hoping I would be able to add clutch discs, dog ears, and whatever end plates are in the packs to the open diff carrier to make it LSD. That way I would have a better drive ratio, no more bearing noise, and LSD while avoiding having to worry about the preload, lash, etc. Is this possible? I've read that the spider gears between open and LSD carriers are different. Is there anything else I would need to add to the carrier?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by BMMal View Post
    I have 325es with a 2.93 LSD. The bearings are going out in it so I recently purchased a complete 3.15 open diff from much newer Z3 to swap in. I was hoping I would be able to add clutch discs, dog ears, and whatever end plates are in the packs to the open diff carrier to make it LSD. That way I would have a better drive ratio, no more bearing noise, and LSD while avoiding having to worry about the preload, lash, etc. Is this possible? I've read that the spider gears between open and LSD carriers are different. Is there anything else I would need to add to the carrier?

Thanks in advance!
    Have you opened up the case already to confirm it's open. Late model Z3s typically have Torsen LSDs. Here's a 3.15 torsen from a late Z3 and you can see the worm gear through the oiling hole.
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
      Have you opened up the case already to confirm it's open. Late model Z3s typically have Torsen LSDs. Here's a 3.15 torsen from a late Z3 and you can see the worm gear through the oiling hole.
      It's being delivered on Thursday. The ebay seller claimed it was open. According to them it is from a '98 Z3 2.8 roadster with 80000 miles. I'll take a look as soon as possible. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Here is the tag on the case. I'm not sure how the ID system works for the newer diffs.

Comment

To provide some closure on this thread, i wont be converting it to lSD. I got the diff and opened it up. Turns out it is a LSD. It seems that the clutch discs are worn though. Searching for 1428258 on realoem comes up with a result saying 3.15 with 25% lockup. The usual ID tag is not present, not sure if it ever was...I saw another post about a similar diff on one of the z3 forums. It turned out that that guy's car was a "Christmas edition," whatever that was supposed to mean...

Comment

...heh, means that everyone was boozed up for Christmas and bolted all sorts of odd stuff together....

and no, to pointlessly (now) answer your earlier question, the carriers are completely different.

The good news is that repairing a worn- out one is not particularly hard...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X