Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my diff contact pattern good?

Hi,

I swapped my 3.73 ratio for a 3.15. Came with what is shown bellow with the shims I had. Backlash is right on at 0,003''. Preload is good.

The coast side is pretty centered. It's a used gear set. I think it is acceptable, even if i'm on the toe side a bit. I roated the diff by the input with a drill and loaded the diff by hand (with gloves) on the output flange... I wanted other opinions, since its my first diff setup...

Thanks!
    E30 now S52
    2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

I do not believe its acceptable. It is still a bit on the tight side and it will cause issues as the diff warms up under use.

I have seen patches exactly like that result in metal flecking off the gears by the end of a single race season.

Good luck, hope that helps.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      It is still a bit on the tight side
      Backlash?

According to this: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/057en/index.htm

I would be good...

In the rear axle section, specification at page 2, the backlash should be between .0024 and 0.0043''.
      Last edited by MatRacer; 04-01-2015, 12:48 PM.
      E30 now S52
      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
        Backlash?

According to this: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/057en/index.htm

I would be good...

In the rear axle section, specification at page 2, the backlash should be between .0024 and 0.0043''.
        Skifree has association with this company called Ireland engineering; they have been playing with differential setup since the 2002 days

Since you posted for advice and don't want to Take it I'll also give my advice.

Too tight. Will EAT gears
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I wasn't sure he was talking about backlash...and was showing from where I had taken my information...English is not my first language...I was also confuse with the fact that I had read somewhere that Metric Mechanic was talking about 0.003 to 0.0035''...

I know Skifree is very knowledgeable...and thanks for pointing it out...

Allright thanks for the advice! Was hoping for your advice also...! :)

So what would be an acceptable amount off play? 0.004-0.006''? I guess increasing the backlash would also help to bring the contact toward the heel a bit...

Thanks again!

Mat
          E30 now S52
          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't sure he was talking about backlash...and was showing from where I had taken my information...English is not my first language...I was also confuse with the fact that I had read somewhere that Metric Mechanic was talking about 0.003 to 0.0035''...

I know Skifree is very knowledgeable...and thanks for pointing it out...

Allright thanks for the advice! Was hoping for your advice also...! :)

So what would be an acceptable amount off play? 0.004-0.006''? I guess increasing the backlash would also help to bring the contact toward the heel a bit...

Thanks again!

Mat
            To give extremes:

Too tight = eat gears
            Too loose = slam and break gears.

Best to reference an oem BMW unit you have on hand that is known good with your tool of measure; the tolerances are pretty tight on BMW diffs. Left shims are usually between ~1.6-1.8mm from the factory and right ones between 1.4-1.6mm. This is a total delta of about 0.4mm so you really need to be dead on for it to be happy (gear relationship acceptable and bearing load acceptable)

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
              T

Best to reference an oem BMW unit you have on hand that is known good with your tool of measure
              Good point! I have a 4.10 on the shelf, will check it! Thanks!
              Last edited by MatRacer; 04-04-2015, 05:47 PM.
              E30 now S52
              325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

My 4.10 has 0,005''... Will aim for around that
                E30 now S52
                325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Found back the Metric Mechanic document I was writing about: http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Differentials.pdf

At the page 8, they are talking about their diff setup...which would appear to be on the tight side...

''We’ve developed a method for expanding the case
                  so these bearing can be shimmed and pre-loaded to
                  the proper 9 to 11 inch pounds of rolling torque
                  and still be able to set the back-lash on the ring and
                  pinion to .0030” - .0035”.
                  ''

WTF is the expending case thing...

Anyway, I will order shims and set to around 0.005''
                  E30 now S52
                  325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Found back the Metric Mechanic document I was writing about: http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Differentials.pdf

At the page 8, they are talking about their diff setup...which would appear to be on the tight side...

''We’ve developed a method for expanding the case
                    so these bearing can be shimmed and pre-loaded to
                    the proper 9 to 11 inch pounds of rolling torque
                    and still be able to set the back-lash on the ring and
                    pinion to .0030” - .0035”.
                    ''

WTF is the expending case thing...

Anyway, I will order shims and set to around 0.005''
                    Why don't you take given advice and ONLY follow BMW factory instructions?

BMW TIS.

No other letters of the alphabet needed

Comment

I do take advice and thanks for taking time to provide some!
                      I try to read as much as I can when I attemp something new for me.

Was pointing out what I had found and why I was thinking I was Ok...

FYI, TIS is one of the documentation I read...and 0,003 would be good... So Thanks again for the advices

Mat
                      E30 now S52
                      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

I'm confused for OP since the TIS backlash spec is .0024-.005" and his is within that range. Are you guys saying the TIS should only be followed for street application? If you guys say .003" is too tight what is your preferred range?

Also i bet OP's 4.10 that measures .005" is far from new so i wouldn't assume zf shipped it with .005" backlash.
                        Last edited by tinkerputzer; 04-07-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                          I'm confused for OP since the TIS backlash spec is .0024-.005" and his is within that range. Are you guys saying the TIS should only be followed for street application? If you guys say .003" is too tight what is your preferred range?

Also i bet OP's 4.10 that measures .005" is far from new so i wouldn't assume zf shipped it with .005" backlash.
                          Thanks for understanding me... haha.

The 4.10 was on a auto 325i that was just mint. never drove to the limits. First owner was an old lady and second was a straight 50 years old accountant...but still 150 k miles on it...
                          E30 now S52
                          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

So, "tight": the pinion's too close to the crownwheel, as in the tooth pattern's too
                            close to the root of the ring gear?
                            Because to me, looking at that pattern, seems like the pinion's far enough away from
                            the ring gear- in fact, it looks well out there.

Or "Tight"- pinion's too far forward towards the diff pumpkin? Too far 'back'?
                            Because the pattern DOES seem to be quite a ways in there.

I'm seriously asking, not snarking, because I've only 'set up' a few 168's-
                            and that was mostly a quick check to make
                            sure the gears weren't falling off each other entirely, then toss 'em in the
                            race car and see how long they lasted....

t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                              So, "tight": the pinion's too close to the crownwheel, as in the tooth pattern's too
                              close to the root of the ring gear?
                              Because to me, looking at that pattern, seems like the pinion's far enough away from
                              the ring gear- in fact, it looks well out there.

Or "Tight"- pinion's too far forward towards the diff pumpkin? Too far 'back'?
                              Because the pattern DOES seem to be quite a ways in there.

Well both can effect backlash and contact pattern. Pinion depth relates more to centering the contact pattern on the tooth. Carrier side to side placement is more about backlash but to some extent how high or low on the tooth the contact pattern is. It is a balance, but as long as you reuse the original shim from underneath the inner pinion race, along with the same gear set, in the same case, pinion depth should be fine. It's just a matter of dialing in the proper amount of backlash with the carrier shims.

Contact pattern can be tricky to read as it depends on what you use to read it and how much resistance you put on it. In OP's top pic there are a few teeth that have a nice contact pattern, it gets a bit light toward the outside but if you look close you can see it's there.

Comment

Working...
                              X