Clutch dropped to the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch dropped to the floor

So I go to take my E30 out this morning, and barely touched the clutch pedal before it literally dropped to the floor. The car has been performing perfectly, I just had some major servicing done last month. But I remember the last time I drove it, the other night, I pulled out of a gas station and it slightly bottomed out on a steep ramp/curb from the parking lot to the road. Could this have caused my clutch problem? And if so, am I at risk of serious damage? I'm so glad that this forum exists, it's the greatest resource for E30 maniacs!

Probably isn't related to bottoming out. Sounds like something in the hydraulic line failed or the clutch master cylinder failed. A couple places to start would be to check the brake fluid level, or remove the kick panel below the steering wheel and inspect the clutch master cylinder and make sure the pedal is still physically attached to it.
    Originally posted by Sonny
    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I vote slave cylinder

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

OK, great. Thanks guys. I was just concerned that bottoming out the night before was the culprit, given the correlation between clutch failure, and my first time ever bottoming out.

Comment

+1 for slave. Been there. It's a cheap part, and a super quick fix at least..

1986 325e - RIP
          1987 528e - Sold
          1989 325iX - Parted Out
          1991 318iS - Sold
          1991 325iS - Current

Comment

Probably your slave.. get a new soft line as well since it's cheap enough

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I had a clutch fluid leak at the slave. I replaced it and two days later had clutch pedal dropping to the floor, turned out the master cylinder went bad and had to be replaced. So I say if you replace the one, then you might as well replace the other.
              1990 325i
              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
              sigpic

Comment

Get a SS clutch line from Blunt for $35, the slave is $25 - go with Febi brand or similar.

The clutch master cylinder is likely about to fail too. Id replace both and do the whole job for around $150 with dot4 fluid

Comment

Dont replace the slave without replacing the master cylinder, or you will ruin your new slave.
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

while you're in there, bleed all your brakes so you have good fresh fluid everywhere. brake fluid is hydroscopic, so it attracts and absorbs water and will rust/corrode your brake lines. so the fluid should be flushed every year or two. (and yeah, it's probably a bad slave. but replace your master and soft line too)
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

X3 on doing both master and slave.
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                      X