Looking for some guidance re: clutch setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some guidance re: clutch setup

I've finished building my M52 for my GTS2 E30, and now I've got the old motor out with the trans removed (trans is the ZF 5 speed from an E36, fwiw...) I'm trying to figure out which combination of components I have so that I order the correct replacements. This is my first time doing the clutch on this car. Looks like although the car has an E36 motor and transmission, the flywheel/clutch setup is from an E30/M20. (Single-mass flywheel and matching clutch). I'm planning on resurfacing the flywheel but at least replacing the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. A few questions:

-I'm assuming I can order any E30 compatible clutch/pressure plate combination. Is that correct?

-Are the pilot bearings transmission-specific, or do they match up to the clutch setup? I don't know if I need an E30 bearing or E36 bearing.

-Is the throwout bearing also transmission-specific? Again, not sure if I need one from an E30 or E36.

Any other feedback you experts could provide is greatly appreciated!

Attaching pics of what came out of the car, also...
    Attached Files
    '90 325is/S52
    '76 2002
    '74 2002tii
    '06 325i sedan
    '05 X5 3.0i
    '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Can you see any markings on the clutch plate if you (carefully) clean it up?
    The Sachs parts usually have part numbers on them one way or another-
    sometimes it's pretty light computer- printed marking.

Yes, looks like an E30 single mass to me- dig around here, there are more pics (some
    with dimensions on them) to help confirm that.

You should measure the pilot bearing, but it should be all E36- RealOEM will have dimensions, I think...

The throwout is the tricky part- since the dual mass setup is usually thicker, there
    is a part from an earlier Euro 323i that helps make up the difference for the single
    mass flywheel. Search for that, and you'll also find pictures with dimensions.
    Since it's also used in 2002 5- speed conversions, look at www.bmw2002faq.com if
    you can't find pix here- I know they're over there...

hth, and others will have more...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
    X