Transmission sounds like marbles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission sounds like marbles.

Sounds like someone threw marbles into my transmission when I'm around 3000rpm in any gear. Shifts perfectly fine otherwise, and makes no rattle at idle. New trans fluid as well. This is a getrag 240.

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

I don't know what that is and it will likely require a tear down and inspection of the transmission internals to find the problem(s). When you changed the fluid did you see any metal particles in the fluid?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      I don't know what that is and it will likely require a tear down and inspection of the transmission internals to find the problem(s). When you changed the fluid did you see any metal particles in the fluid?
      No metal particles in the fluid or drain plug.

I'm just as clueless as you are. Never heard such a noise like it before on any of my cars.
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

If you try wiggling the shifter when it's making the noise, does it change?

Same for putting some pressure on the clutch pedal- not enough to disengage the
        clutch, just load up the pressure plate- and your thrust bearing....

sure it's the trans?

Shiny spots underneath, like the guibo's hitting something? Or the exhaust?

I had a 'failing center bearing' on the E36 turn out to be a soft heat shield that had fallen
        down and was brushing the side of the driveshaft...

hth

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          If you try wiggling the shifter when it's making the noise, does it change?

Same for putting some pressure on the clutch pedal- not enough to disengage the
          clutch, just load up the pressure plate- and your thrust bearing....

sure it's the trans?

Shiny spots underneath, like the guibo's hitting something? Or the exhaust?

I had a 'failing center bearing' on the E36 turn out to be a soft heat shield that had fallen
          down and was brushing the side of the driveshaft...

hth

t
          Well...taking your suggestion, it was actually the transmission mount that was loose . I wonder how such a things could create such a ruckus. Oh well, all is fixed.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

Working...
          X