Clear All

E21 Tranny Mount Install w/ pictures

Tools:
    Drill
    Step Drill bit
    E21 Tranny mounts
    13mm socket
    13mm combination wrench
    10x1.5 nuts (x4) *that's what my E21 mounts used.
    Washer (x4)

Jack up your E30
    *Give yourself enough room to work under comfortably with a drill.

Put jack stands on both sides.

Unbolt/Remove the cover above the exhaust/under the driveshaft.
    13mm bolts

Loosen the inner two bolts that hold the tranny mounts (13mm) then loosen the nuts with your fingers since its a tight space.
    *I did this while under the drivers side underneath

Put the jack under the tranny mount and don't lift it just let it support the transmission

Loosen and unbolt the tranny mount brace from chassis.

Lower the transmission *I let it sit on the exhaust with a jack stand under to keep it leveled.

Remove the old E30 Tranny mounts.

*E21 mounts have bigger bolts on them
    Get a drill and a step drill bit and make a hole on the brace big enough for the E21 mounts to slide right in.

Get your 10x1.5 nuts and some washers , 17mm

Put the short bolt on top (it will be used to attach itself to the transmission)
    The long end bolt will be at the bottom.
    Get your nuts and washers and put them on the lower mount bolts and tighten them really good. 17mm

*DONT MIND THE PICTURE, I HAD THE LONGER BOLTS ON TOP BUT THE INSTALL WILL HAVE THE SHORTER BOLTS ON TOP

Go under the car with your drill w/ step drill bit and where the tranny mounts attach to the transmission you will have to make holes for the E21 bolts to fit since their bigger.
    *I lowered the transmission more and let it sit on the exhaust while I made the wholes, It gave me more access.

-Note: The passenger side will be awkward since the exhaust is in the way. I was able to make holes but I had to angle my drill and drill it at an angle, just make you sure you're accurate.

While the tranny is resting on the exhaust, mount the E21 tranny mounts w/brace. Same thing, tighten them really good. The 10x1.5 nuts used a 17mm. The bolt did not go entirely through the nut. It went 85% - 90% all the way through the nut with a washer. TIGHTEN IT REALLY GOOD.

Get the jack and lift the transmission so it properly aligns in its original position. Get the bolts and tighten the outer tranny brace nuts (13mm).

Then you're done!

My old tranny mounts were BAD so this is a HUGE difference when driving. Vibration is gone, and auto tranny shifts are way better. It doesn't jerk when it shifts anymore.

http://www.bornfrompassion.net/

Nice write-up. When I did the e21 mounts everyone said it was slightly bigger and I wasn't prepared. Big headache but I got it done

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Why the e21 mounts over the e30 mounts?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        Why the e21 mounts over the e30 mounts?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
        They're better quality and design, a lot of people use them because they're thicker and more well built and sturdy. E30 tranny bushings don't have a great design and end up going bad faster.

Comment

These look just like generic industrial vibration dampening mounts.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            These look just like generic industrial vibration dampening mounts.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9217k55/=zcdwfh
            Lol maybe but I haven't bought some to compare sizes and what not

Comment

Working...
            X