Transmission help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission help!

I just bought a new to me 1985 BMW 318i and the shifter rod is loose. I've read it was a relative easy fix but I can't for the life of me figure out what transmission is in the car. It's got a zf stamp right by the slave cylinder and it appears to have 6 gears? Can anyone please help me identify it so I can get the shifter sorted?
    [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Try searching ZF S5-16?

Comment

Thanks! It's got identical stampings as the one I have! Now I'm assuming the 6th slot I'm feeling is an overdrive correct?

Comment

I think it is a regular 5-speed. It probably feels weird because the shifter bushings are shot.

Comment

Ah alright thanks again!

Comment

Sorry one more question, so I can I just buy the shifter rebuild kit for an e30? I've been trying to find bushings for the zf but can't find them anywhere.

Comment

Check out the links below. There are differences in the early and late gearshift, but you might be able to use a late kit. I have not tried it.

I have not owned a 318i with that transmission. Do you know if it has the sheet metal gearshift carrier or the aluminum? If you have the steel sheet metal carrier, you will need the two side mounts found on the early cars including the M20 cars. see the following for information:

Shifter:

Transmission:

Last edited by packratbimmer; 11-25-2015, 11:28 AM. Reason: yep

Comment

Contact Blunttech for all the help you need.

Comment

Thanks again you guys and happy thanksgiving!

Comment

You will need to know what you have on there before anyone can help you. The good news is that it is easy to distinguish between the old style and the new style shifter. If you see a squarish aluminum rod supporting the shifter, someone has upgraded the shifter over the last 30 years at some point. If it looks wide and flat (and likely rusty), you likely have the original type shifter.

Comment

If it is the old style can I upgrade it to the newer style? And to be perfectly honest I need to get the brakes figures out first haha

Comment

Working...
                      X