3.55 ix vlsd into non ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.55 ix vlsd into non ix

I've been looking for an LSD for a while and one of the parts shops in town says he's getting an ix in with a 3.73
    LSD. Can't seem to find anything online about it. Will it bolt into a non ix without modification?

there's no such thing as an ix 3.55, but I assume that's a typo.

a 3.73 does exist but it's extremely rare - I've never seen one. it only came on early model ix automatics and was never used in north America. Most likely it's a 3.91 or a 4.10, which were used in most manuals & automatics respectively. Less common but still widely used was the 3.64 from the early manual ix.

To directly answer your question, whatever the ratio actually is it will bolt right in to any E30. I would check the VC though, you'll have to hold 2 flanges in place and turn a third to see if it provides any resistance or not. if it is easy to move by hand the VC is shot.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I thought 3.55 sounded a little strange. I guess he just wasn't sure or I misunderstood him. Thank you for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I would check the VC though, you'll have to hold 2 flanges in place and turn a third to see if it provides any resistance or not. if it is easy to move by hand the VC is shot.
        The VC controls the slip of the left relative to the right... so if you get a hand on each output shaft and try to turn them opposite directions, you can check it that way. The one I've played with outside the car would turn *VERY* slowly by hand, but that was quite difficult. This distinguishes it from a (working) clutch pack unit, which will not turn by hand. Also, the VLSD has mismatched output flanges. One has longer splines than the other and they do *NOT* interchange with normal E30 flanges.

Comment

Working...
        X