E60 shifter setup? Trying to gather info/parts list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E60 shifter setup? Trying to gather info/parts list

So this is just an info-gathering session at the moment, but in the future I'll be rehabbing my shifter and wouldn't mind a small upgrade at the same time.

Goals: Freshen, reduce slop, shorter throw, close to stock height, mostly OEM parts.

I've heard the E60 shifter shortens the throw some without using a tiny lever like the Z3 unit. Does anyone have personal experience? This isn't a race car, so I'd like to keep the look and feel closer to original (slop aside).

A guy on bf.c was kind enough to share his E60 refresh parts list; does this look complete?
    25111220600 TRANS. SHIFTER BUSHI 1 $0.00 $10.43 $10.43
    25111220439 SPEC. SHIM 2 $0.00 $0.50 $1.00
    25117546373 SHIFT LEVER 1 $0.00 $59.56 $59.56
    25117571899 SECURING CLIP 2 $0.00 $0.80 $1.60

Thoughts on delrin vs. rubber bushes?

Finally, I may consider a DSSR at the same time; what does this change regarding parts to order?

Thanks,

Mike
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Not so much then?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Nope. Not me.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

:(

Comment

Did you do this?

I have an S50 with a ZF, just added a DSSR and considering this shifter. I had the z3M shifter with a bent stock selector rod but the DSSR hits the guibo...so I bought the z4 2.5 lever but can already tell I won't like it! Probably going to pull the trigger on this shifter.
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
            Did you do this?

I have an S50 with a ZF, just added a DSSR and considering this shifter. I had the z3M shifter with a bent stock selector rod but the DSSR hits the guibo...so I bought the z4 2.5 lever but can already tell I won't like it! Probably going to pull the trigger on this shifter.
            I'd like to do it in the future so I was gathering info. Well, attempting to at least. But please go for it! That way you can tell me how it works

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              I'd like to do it in the future so I was gathering info. Well, attempting to at least. But please go for it! That way you can tell me how it works
              I'll let you know how it turns out.....

Comment

Great! By the way, if that's your car in your sig it's gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                  Great! By the way, if that's your car in your sig it's gorgeous.
                  It is. Thanks!

Comment

So I got the E60 shifter installed with a Garagistic DSSR, rubber rear mount, delrin front bushings, and kept my height-adjustable Bavauto shift knob (uses three Allen set screws).

I LOVE the new setup. It's got a great snick-snick feel to it, it's dead accurate, and I can fine-tune the height of the knob to adjust shifter effort. The pattern is much smaller than before, but not so small it's hard to distinguish between gears. Even with the knob all the way down, the lever is unnoticably shorter than stock. I'd call this the only choice for those who want a "sleeper" shifter setup with a much tighter pattern than stock. Two thumbs up.

Comment

Working...
                    X