Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto to manual conversion

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site it's awesome, I live e30's so much!!
    Anyways I'm thinking about getting a 88 325is, it's so sick classic red exterior. Anyways it's auto sadly and in a e30 I can't stand auto. So I was wondering how big of a job is it to swap it from auto to a manual gear box, including clutch pedal and shit. I know this question has been asked but I need some feed back from those who have done it.
    Thanks guys
    Trevor

it's not that big of a deal. All E30s were made to be manuals. It's like doing a clutch swap, except you have to swap out the pedals, add the MC/slave, and swap out the driveshaft for a manual version. the auto radiator has lines for the trans cooler, but you can just remove the lines and cap the holes. The wiring is pretty minimal - reverse switch and auto lockout. It's best to just remove the auto part of the harness so your cruise control still works.

on the '88 it will be easier since it's non-airbag, the pedal box unbolts - just swap it out for a non-airbag pedal box from a manual E30.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      it's not that big of a deal. All E30s were made to be manuals. It's like doing a clutch swap, except you have to swap out the pedals, add the MC/slave, and swap out the driveshaft for a manual version. the auto radiator has lines for the trans cooler, but you can just remove the lines and cap the holes. The wiring is pretty minimal - reverse switch and auto lockout. It's best to just remove the auto part of the harness so your cruise control still works.

on the '88 it will be easier since it's non-airbag, the pedal box unbolts - just swap it out for a non-airbag pedal box from a manual E30.
      Sounds like a job to me... But I've talked to people and they said it's not too hard. I don't have a lift so I'd have to do it while it's on the garage floor lol. My good friend is in heavy duty mechanics at the college and he's worked on heavy duty cat's and such. Should be ok. The problem is finding all the parts to do it for the right price.
      Thanks!

Comment

Nando

Comment

Don't mean to thread jack but I've been wondering about the pedal assemblies. What's the difference? Why would it be easier to swap a non airbag car then one with.

Long story short I have a prime 91 sedan auto.
          Thinking bout picking up a 88 super eta and using the block and all manual swap parts including the pedal assembly. Enlighten me please thanks in advance

Comment

Non airbag pedal boxes dont fit airbag cars and airbag pedal boxes also support the steering column with tamper proof bolts.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oooo I see now. Thanks

Comment

Non airbag pedal boxes dont fit airbag cars and airbag pedal boxes also support the steering column with tamper proof bolts.
                Yeah i think i'm about to learn this the hard way :'(

What's the solution to the pedal box issue? I have a (325i)1991 auto, with parts coming form a (325i) '89 manual... Anyone? would greatly appreciate help

Comment

With an Airbag car you just need to remove the through bolt (item 28) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=35_0183holding the larger brake pedal in place. Replace with the new clutch and smaller brake pedal. You don't need to replace the pedal support box. On early cars the pedal box is the same, manual and auto EXCEPT it does not have the nuts mounted to the side of the box to bolt up the master clutch cylinder. Item 2 in this diagram.
                  sigpic
                  Steve Corbett
                  1983 528E Scrapped
                  1983 528E Sold
                  1984 745I
                  1984 325E - Sold
                  1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                  1989 325I Zinno
                  1988 635CSI

Comment

Working...
                  X