Fluid for G240 and locating whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid for G240 and locating whine

I was wondering what fluid you guys run? I have a whine and I'm not sure where it's coming from. It only happens when I'm on the accelerator and if I coast in neutral there's no whine at all, so I'm leaning towards the tranny. Any help would be appreciated

My Daily Driven 318is

I'm leaning away from your tranny and towards your diff. Especially if it makes
    the same whine in different gears.

redline MTL in the trans, unless it whines, then MT to see if that quiets it a bit.

80w90 redline in the diff, unless it whines ,then 80w140 to see if THAT quiets it a bit.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I'm leaning away from your tranny and towards your diff. Especially if it makes
      the same whine in different gears.

redline MTL in the trans, unless it whines, then MT to see if that quiets it a bit.

80w90 redline in the diff, unless it whines ,then 80w140 to see if THAT quiets it a bit.

hth

t
      I'm going to get a new diff and see if that solves the problem, hopefully it does cause it's getting wayyyyy too loud

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Does it sound the same in 4th as it does in 5th?

That's a sure sign it's the diff.

hth
        t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          Does it sound the same in 4th as it does in 5th?

That's a sure sign it's the diff.

hth
          t
          Yeah it does, thank you! You took out the uncertainty in my mind lol

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

No probs- you might try a fluid change first, since it's so much easier and cheaper...

t

Comment

Working...
            X