Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automatic differential fluid help/question

hi all,
    going to change diff fluid on a 4.10 325i automatic. non lsd. I have a little chatter back there and hoping this might help with since I have no idea when if ever it might have been changed.

Looking at Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil

or I see people talking about Redline MTL. Is that for manual trans only?

Don't know what the difference is or which one I need. Any help appreciated.

Andrew

You're wasting your money on Red Line as some off-the-shelf Valvoline or similar from the local auto parts place will do just fine for the demands of an automatic equipped car.

MTL=manual transmission lube.

Comment

Chatter? As in, the diff's having conversations with the subframe?

Whining is much more common, and the bad news is that once it's started,
      it's usually already damaged somewhat. My 'not- fix' is to go to a heavier
      weight oil, like a 90-140 or something.

And I do agree, for a street car where it'll be changed every 30k, standard decent
      quality gear oil is just fine.
      But if you plan to forget to change it for another 60-90k, spring for the synthetic.
      You're not wasting THAT much money.
      It does take 1.5 qts or so.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I found the capacity of my diff to be just under 2 quarts when I last changed it, for what it's worth.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

:devil: I think you put too much in!

But then, if it doesn't spit out the vent, it won't do any harm...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X