Clutch hub springs hitting flywheel bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch hub springs hitting flywheel bolts

I have the South Bend stage 3 daily clutch and pressure plate with a brand new stock (BMW) single mass flywheel, and new BMW flywheel hardware.

The clutch disk does not sit flat on the flywheel because the springs in the hub are hitting the flywheel bolt heads.

The disk is the correct orientation, I am using the flywheel torque plate (shim, per realoem) under the heads of the flywheel bolts. Mine came from an automatic, so I compared thickness with one from a manual car. .235" vs .237", so my problem isnt due to an incorrect torque plate/difference in parts btw auto/manual torque plates.

There would be no issue with clearance if I ran without the flywheel torque plate but I have bad dreams about becoming Lieutenant Dan in the event that the flywheel removes itself from its home. as such I am a stickler about using new OE parts and hardware in their original configuration.

Has anyone encountered a clutch disk not fitting because of the flywheel bolts? I was able to find instances within other car communities where this occurred. Anyone else running a South Bend clutch disk? Which one and what flywheel do you have?

Im going to call South Bend tomorrow to see what they have to say, if anything.

As a solution, I am having the flywheel torque plate ground down to .188"

I should only need .030" to obtain proper clearance but im removing a little more to be safe, while leaving enough meat on the torque plate to not just deform.

Image showing spring and hub protrusion for reference

Image from the internet showing the future of my clutch disk

Last edited by Sagaris; 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM.

Does the friction disc fit if you flip it over?

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Nope, South Bend offered to send me a disk with smaller springs but I opted to have my torque plate ground down from .235" to .150". All is well now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The plate is basically just a washer. It keep the heads of the bolts from digging into the flywheel. It could be 1/16" thick and still work just fine. Just be sure your flywheel bolts aren't too long and bottom out inside the crank.

Comment

Working...
        X