Tranny input seal carrier....gasket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny input seal carrier....gasket???

Do I need some kind of paper based or cork based gasket that goes between this input seal carrier and the actual transmission? I have had a leak before and i'm not sure where it was from... so this time i want to make sure i'm doing this right..
    Check it out...
    Attached Files
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

no, you need to use a sealant of some sort, I used regular loctite. BMW uses Curil K2.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

cool, thanx. I thought twice about putting it on dry
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

yeah, I'm not sure how well the loctite works though.. mine isn't leaking from the front, but the output shaft leaks like crazy. I ordered some Curil K2 online to redo my output shaft with, I would reccomend getting it for your input shaft since you def. don't want to take that apart again!.

and make sure you put it on all the bolt threads too
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've got a question that follows this vein, if no one minds. Jordan and I replaced my output shaft seal about a year ago, but I'm pretty sure my input shaft seal is leaking pretty badly, I have a fairly steady slow tranny fluid leak. Jordan gave me a brand new input shaft seal, and I need to get that installed, but I'm wondering if while I'm in there, should I replace the clutch, too? I'm sure the clutch probably isn't due yet, but if the leak is bad, it's no doubt getting onto the clutch disc, and since it's organic, oils like tranny fluid will begin to damage and break down the organic material.

Comment

to be honest, if the clutch has never been done, might as well do it while your in there, save yourself a hassel in the future, unless you have other plans to swap the m20 out?

But if your low on cash, just inspect the clutch disc and pressure plate, for abnormal wear and see if the oil has contaminated them (i doubt this because the clutch would slip like a mofo if it was) Lube everything up using moly grease, and possibly replace the throwout bearing/pivot pin...just make sure to replace the rest of the seals and put some redline mlt, if you haven't already :)
            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Working...
            X