rear end sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear end sizes?

What size is our e30 rear ends? For example, the standard Ford rear end is an 8.8" and makes a 9"...if my diff is a 4.10 non LSD, but what size is it? Could I swap rear end to a Mustang rear end? TIA!

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
      What size is our e30 rear ends? For example, the standard Ford rear end is an 8.8" and makes a 9"...if my diff is a 4.10 non LSD, but what size is it? Could I swap rear end to a Mustang rear end? TIA!
      Uh, what? Are you talking about throwing away the independent rear suspension and somehow fitting a solid axle? I'm confused.
      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
        It doesn't really work that way, while i'm sure you could fab up brackets to mount an IRS 8.8 out of a supercoupe or a cobra, or maybe a supra diff at the end of the day theres no reason too because BMW has plenty of offerings that bolt right in and are strong.

ours if i remember correctly in order to answer your question would either be a 188 medium case, or a 166 small case i think the 188 and 166 are MM but who knows all that really matters is differentiating between the two which can be done visually without measuring.

Comment

N/A four cylinder cars have a 168mm diff (small case)
          Six cylinder cars and M3's have 188mm diffs (medium case)
          The E30's with 188 diffs use 86mm CV joints which start to break around 300 rwhp. M30 cars use a 188 with 94mm CV joints that can handle closer to 500. The 94 mm output flanges will plug right into an E30 diff, but then you'd need to figure out axles

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I would look at Subaru or Evo rear ends.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

I like mine a bit bigger, too... but not TOO big. Imports, domestics, it's all good...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X