Getrag 260 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 issue

While swapping my transmission, my trans fell off my jack and apparently cracked the hole for which is used to mount the shifter linkage. Just wondering what I can do to fix this issue without buying and installing a new trans if I can, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry that this happened to you, I've been in this same situation as well.

If you or someone you know how to weld, the ear can be welded back on. Otherwise this might be good opportunity to do the DTM style shifter. You can do the fancy AKG setup or find an early model e30 sheet metal console and chop it to sit directly on the transmission tunnel and eliminate the need for the carrier altogether, so your only linkage will be the selector rod/DSSR from the shift lever to the transmission selector joint. It shifts very direct, but not too notchy because you're still using the stock plastic cup bushings. Here's what I'm talking about:

If you plan to use the trans that fell off the jack, I would just double check that it still shifts through the gears correctly, as mine had trouble in the neutral position like something got bent, so the side-to-side motion was notchy when it should have moved freely. Otherwise it might be worth getting another known working transmission.
    Last edited by mtech325; 07-14-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I just upgraded to the z3 shifter and all new bushings:(
      Thanks for the tips though I'll have to see what I can weld up I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's not a great deal of stress on that ear so as long as it's properly aligned so the pin moves freely, it's not a tough weld. I have a spare here with broken mount ears and I wouldn't be afraid to use it once repaired.

just make sure the ground clamp is VERY close to the weld so the current does not flow through any bearings. The arcing can pit the bearings with potentially terminal results.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Yea any person who can confidentially TIG weld should be able to fix that.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
          X