Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed to automatic conversion. Yes. manual to auto

I have my flame suit on....

For various reasons, I'm thinking about going from my 5 speed to an automatic. I know a lot of you guys have gone the other way. Any ideas at what I'm looking at cost and work wise?

Do you think its easier to g 5 speed to auto than the other way around?

You think I'll have to swap the drive shaft?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

You'll def. need a new driveshaft...the auto is shorter. Hmm. as far as ease goes it should be EASIER since the auto tranny is standalone. Except for the reverse light setup, you could probably work something out for that.
    Oh and the car will start in gears other then park which means the car could take off.
    :wgaf:

Comment

You could wire it so that it would have protection from starting in gear pretty easily.

If you werent in HI, I would offer you my old auto. I don't think they're worth much.

Comment

Have you considered selling your car and buying an auto? They usually are in better shape, since they aren't generally hot rodded as hard. You just might come out ahead financially.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Also if you go Auto you might want to pick up the 4.10 final drive. Cause.....the auto without 4.10...not good.
          :wgaf:

Comment

Perhaps someone here with an auto that wants a manual will trade?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
              Perhaps someone here with an auto that wants a manual will trade?
              Chances of him finding someone in Hawaii is slim though .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

The HI aspect kills the deal.

I'd be all over it otherwise. My g/f's minty 325ic NEEDS a 5-speed.
                McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

yeah, living out here has its ups and downs. Let's just say its a little bit harder to find some things.... especially considering I used to live in NYC.
                  Maybe I'll just pick up another car. I'd hate to lose my 5speed anyway.

Comment

Missed the HI component. I lived in Mililiani in 82 Culture shock is not a big enough term to describe going from Manhattan to L.A. to a tiny town, hell I had to go to Waipahu for lots of things until the mall (not really a mall, like a strip mall really) opened.

I hated the humidity and traffic into Honolulu sucked.

Plus spelling my street on letters (Hokuwelowelo) was a pita lol

I'd pm 808BMW he is there and seems to know whats going on in the BMW world.
                    Last edited by parkerbink; 09-11-2006, 08:25 AM.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

5 speed to an auto to me would be harder! you will also meed the transmission cooler which goes through the radiator... just get another car with an auto. i mean if you were going from auto to 5 speed then thats probubly worth it but your not going that way soo......

Comment

I gave away 2 automatic transmissions for free. Seriously. That was after I begged.
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                          I gave away 2 automatic transmissions for free. Seriously. That was after I begged.
                          I think they're still where I left them!:D Shipping to HI would be insane though.

I think the idea of buying an auto car makes a lot of sense over trying to convert.
                          1973 Bavaria

Comment

Originally posted by Q-ship View Post
                            I think they're still where I left them!:D Shipping to HI would be insane though.

I think the idea of buying an auto car makes a lot of sense over trying to convert.
                            Haha, proof. Thanks again for taking that junk Brian.
                            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X