manual swap prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual swap prices

well i just found a super good deal on a low mileage complete manual swap on craigslist and decided to buy it, even if the parts sit for a little bit. i’m still going to get a new clutch kit, new trans mounts and some new seals. my question is has anyone ever had a shop manual swap they’re e30 for them and can give me a rough estimate of what that might cost me? i have a 1990 325i convertible and the transmission came out a of 1988 325i convertible. i see some places saying they had to pull the dash so they could move the steering column to fit the new pedal assembly so i’m not sure if that would impact the price. i may attempt to swap it myself but lately i just don’t have to the time and don’t want this to turn into a project that never gets finished lol. i would probably be willing to pay a shop maybe $1300? but i’m not sure how realistic that is.

All e30 dashes are the same so it make no sense that someone would suggest changing it. The steering column may be another story. If it turns out that the pedals for a manual are different for a late car (I'm totally not sure about this point) then get the correct pedals and carry on.

I did have a friend with a shop do the swap on my 87 cabrio and with me as helper it was a VERY long day, although we did do the pan and rms. We also had the donor car on hand in case we needed any widgets. Based on shop rates I'd say your labor estimate is reasonable provided you use a shop that works on e30s.

Recommended parts to swap: csb, guibo, shifter bushings, 3 trans seals, new master slave and hose..basically anything rubber & clutch kit.

If you decide to diy this as a minimum have a friend who has done it before.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I'm a little late to the game, but I can confirm that the original pedal box does not need to be replaced, so you can leave the steering column and dash alone. I did my '90 using parts from an '87 and just bolted the clutch pedal and brake pedal to my auto pedal box.

The swap is very straightforward, just time consuming. If you pay a shop to do anything, just have them drop the auto and install the manual, as that's the hardest part without a lift. The rest you can do yourself unless you don't have the time. $1300 may be reasonable, but you may have a hard time finding a shop willing to do the complete job from start to finish, or a shop that has the know-how to do it right.

Comment

Not sure if you reached out to us yet but we're more than capable.

I charge a pinch less than $1300. Reach out!

My email and shop info in my signature :up:
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by heifetz17 View Post
          I'm a little late to the game, but I can confirm that the original pedal box does not need to be replaced, so you can leave the steering column and dash alone. I did my '90 using parts from an '87 and just bolted the clutch pedal and brake pedal to my auto pedal box.

The swap is very straightforward, just time consuming. If you pay a shop to do anything, just have them drop the auto and install the manual, as that's the hardest part without a lift. The rest you can do yourself unless you don't have the time. $1300 may be reasonable, but you may have a hard time finding a shop willing to do the complete job from start to finish, or a shop that has the know-how to do it right.
          so this is a super late response haha. but i finally have the time to start the swap. anyway, how were you able to get the through bolt that the pedals attach to onto the bracket after dropping the auto brake pedal? i can’t get the through bolt with the clutch pedal in place it seems like there are wiring harnesses in the way.

Comment

I am not sure what you are talking about/ But the peddle box is actually hte hardest part of the swap- at least for me ..

I used extension to get me where i needed to reach

Comment

Working...
            X