e21 tranny mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e21 tranny mounts

Hey guys just wondering if the 320i mounts can be used in place of the e30 mounts. I need to change mine and would prefer to go with the solid e21 mounts. Thanks
    Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Originally posted by oldskool3 View Post
    Hey guys just wondering if the 320i mounts can be used in place of the e30 mounts. I need to change mine and would prefer to go with the solid e21 mounts. Thanks
    yes you can use them but they arent solid.
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
      yes you can use them but they arent solid.
      Is there anything special about them? I was told they were solid by my bro who used them in his e34

Comment

found out that uuc bases their mounts off of the 320i mounts:

from understeer.com uuc tranny mount ad

"By maintaining the vibration dampening and deflection properties of the 320i mount..."

"In the past, simply using transmission mounts from a 320i provided some benefit when used in late model BMWs"

Comment

Solid trans mount = bad.

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
          Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
          E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

They are urithane not solid. I wouldn't run solid trans mounts, only solid motor mounts. Which remind's me, i need to get a urithane trans mount for my firebird.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              Solid trans mount = bad.
              Sorry I didn't mean solid I just meant stiffer than the stock e30 rubber bushings

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
              They are urithane not solid. I wouldn't run solid trans mounts, only solid motor mounts. Which remind's me, i need to get a urithane trans mount for my firebird.
              I didn't know that bmw made stock eurathane bushings.

So would you recommend the e21 mounts. I am geussing they wouldnt be as stiff/ harsh as the ie urethane trans bushings. I am already running the ie eurthane motor mounts.

Plus my brother has has run the 320 bushings for a year without any problems/ harsh vibrations.

Comment

Why don't you just get the urethaine race or street buchings from understeer?
                Originally posted by cabriodster87
                "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                Originally posted by Kershaw
                i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                  Why don't you just get the urethaine race or street buchings from understeer?
                  That don't have a set for e30's. I could get eurathane bushings from ie but everyone has told me that they are very harsh and didnt recommend them.

I figured that if the 320i bushings where stiffer that the stock e30 bushings but not as stiff as the ie eurethane bushings they would be the best bet.

Comment

That's an opinionated statement that you heard. You won't know until you try them. I would try them, they are easy enough to swap out.
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      You won't know until you try them. I would try them, they are easy enough to swap out.

Thats the plan. Apparently you have to open up the wholes on the cross member a bit an also on the tranny dog ears but I have no problem with that Ill let you know how it goes.

Comment

You guys are mistaken .

The stock Early E21 320i mounts are rubber NOT eurethane as stated .
                        They are more desireable because the design and shape of them makes them firmer and hold up better over time .

I have both stock E21 rubber and AGK eurethane E21 mounts on my cars .
                        Stock for a nice upgrade from worn out mounts and eurethane for a firmer shift feel and more overall NVH .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                          You guys are mistaken .

The stock Early E21 320i mounts are rubber NOT eurethane as stated .
                          They are more desireable because the design and shape of them makes them firmer and hold up better over time .

I have both stock E21 rubber and AGK eurethane E21 mounts on my cars .
                          Stock for a nice upgrade from worn out mounts and eurethane for a firmer shift feel and more overall NVH .
                          I didn't think they where eurethane as I couldn't imagine BMW having eurethane tranny mounts on a car produced in 1978. Did you have to do any mods to get them to fit? How much more harsh is the AGK's Thanks a lot

Comment

Only mod is to open up the hole in the trans crossbrace .

The increase in NVH was bigger than just uerethane engine mounts ...maybe because they are right under the cabin but they made the biggest difference in noise .

Its still tolerable for me though ...and this is in the M42 which is buzzier than an M20 by a long shot .
                            If you car is running good then it is tolerable for most of us .
                            Encountered a bad vacuum leak on the 318 and they were horrible for a few days until I tracked down the leak .

I can get pics by Sat of all three mounts side by side if that will help anyone wanting to see the differences .

Also if you go with the stock E21 mounts there are also the cups available to increase their effectiveness or you can make some up real easily too .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                              Only mod is to open up the hole in the trans crossbrace .

The increase in NVH was bigger than just uerethane engine mounts ...maybe because they are right under the cabin but they made the biggest difference in noise .

Its still tolerable for me though ...and this is in the M42 which is buzzier than an M20 by a long shot .
                              If you car is running good then it is tolerable for most of us .
                              Encountered a bad vacuum leak on the 318 and they were horrible for a few days until I tracked down the leak .

I can get pics by Sat of all three mounts side by side if that will help anyone wanting to see the differences .

Also if you go with the stock E21 mounts there are also the cups available to increase their effectiveness or you can make some up real easily too .
                              I am thinking I will just stick to the earlier e21 mounts as i heard they were stiffer than the later ones. Those with my eutethane motot mount and I think I should be good. I have seen thos pieces that cup the mount and I was thinking I would try and make some, they seem pretty straight forward. For right now I just want to get everything back to together so I can take it out of winter storage. Thanks a lot for the advice/help.

Comment

Working...
                              X