2nd gear vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gear vibration

ok well im gettin a wicked vibration in 2nd gear that disappears in all other gears and it usaully happens 2500 rpms or higher

Check the CSB for a failed rubber mount and the guibo. If the CSB's mount has failed, you need a replacement driveshaft and CSB.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

wheres the best place to get a driveshaft

Comment

also thanks for replaying i actaully saved up some cash and instaed of using for the e30 i just deciced to get a newer car but i hav some cash again and i would like to get my e30 back on the road again

Comment

on here or you could buy a new one really expensive though. just check to see if you can find one in a junk yard

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

more info it only es it when the car has warmed up i just drove it for the first time ina month and couldnt feel at first but as it got warmer u could feel it and it got stronger as it got warmer

Comment

Why do people always suggest junkyard? Wouldn't they be really close to failure? Especially since the car was... junked?

I'm in the same boat. Just replaced my CSB after a strong vibration started occurring at the 2500-3k range (happens in all gears, at all speeds, but mostly under load, especially up-hill). That god rid of about 80% of the vibration, but under heavy load at 2500 it still vibs/thumps a bit, but not nearly as badly. One thing I noticed was motor mounts looked tired, the passenger side one actually looked like it started sheering at the top (ordered a new set from E30 Racer, just waiting for them), so that could also be the cause of the vibration. Tranny mounts are bimmerworld hard rubber, great condition.

Another thing that I noticed while the car was on jack stands was that my driver side rear jack point doesn't settle onto the jack stand, it just hangs about 1 inch in the air. While I was pre-loading the CSB I was staring down the length of my DS and it looked as though it was cocked off to one side, it looked like a good 5° off (very well could have been the poor lighting at the time, and the fact that I hadn't eatin in a good 10 hours). It also looked like the DS was very slightly pulling to the driver side. My driver side door is very hard to open once on jack stands. My carfax doesn't come up with any accident reports, and I'm pretty sure all the body panels are original. I'm considering driving the front end up on ramps (although the exhaust would be nearly impossible to deal with) and preloading while the rear wheels are loaded up. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to order a rebuilt drive shaft, which really effing sucks.

I should also get my rear wheels balanced, got my front ones done before a 500 mile round trip and apparently they were way off. NEVER ENDS!
              Last edited by Kilomph; 11-22-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

You dont need to replace the driveshaft to replace the CSB...

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                Originally posted by slammin.e28
                Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                  Are you replying to me? I know that you don't need to replace the driveshaft, but after doing what I've done and plan on doing what else is there left? Diff? Doubt it, only has 170k and doesn't make a sound. The DS I'm using has unknown mileage, but feels tight.

Comment

A failure of the rubber mount of the CSB is almost always caused by binding u-joints in the driveshaft. You can replace just the CSB for temporary relief, but the new CSB will have a short life unless you also replace the drive shaft.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

before you replace the CSB OR DS check your guibo bolts, I was missing one and that same thing happened to me I got a bad vibration in second gear around 2500 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by abepark View Post
                        before you replace the CSB OR DS check your guibo bolts, I was missing one and that same thing happened to me I got a bad vibration in second gear around 2500 rpm
                        Just installed it, 8.8 guibo bolts were torqued to 40 ft/lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
                          Why do people always suggest junkyard? Wouldn't they be really close to failure? Especially since the car was... junked?
                          Because if you are a good junkyard hunter, you can find excellent condition parts cheap.

Some people spend thousands on their car just to finally smack it into a wall and die...then the car goes to the 'yard....then someone finds the good goodies, cheap!

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Good point, guess it's just tougher in NJ then the rest of the country. I've seen 2 E30s out of the 3 yards that I've been too, all in very rough shape and completely stripped.

Comment

I'm having this same issue now. Is it easy to tell if the rubber mount of the csb has failed?

What should I be looking for? I'll probably just end up putting in a whole new driveshaft assembly.
                              Originally posted by Gruelius
                              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X