Are all G260s the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all G260s the same?

One isn't better from a particular model/year or is it?

Thanks.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Yes, there was a 6 month (or so) production period where the G260 in the eta had a big guibo (ie. 5/6/M3). I think it was 96mm as opposed to 78mm. Bolt spacing is different. Something like 9/86-4/87 production iirc.

Comment

thats the only difference afaik, just need to switch out the output flange
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
        thats the only difference afaik, just need to switch out the output flange
        you also need to buy a thin walled 32 millimeter deep socket. if you dont allready have one.... i didnt so i just grabed another 260 at the junkyard for 35 bucks...

Comment

What about the b25 vs. b27 bellhousing length difference...

And late models not having the early shift console mounting holes threaded.

And I think early models may not have had the late shifter mounting ears?

The b25 trans not having b27 flywheel sensor holes...
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by brandon11130 View Post
            you also need to buy a thin walled 32 millimeter deep socket. if you dont allready have one.... i didnt so i just grabed another 260 at the junkyard for 35 bucks...
            Holy smokes, $35 bucks? I thought trans' went for way more than that. Any chance you could hook a brotha up? :)

Comment

Please specify differences

My syncro's are shot in my 86 325es. I'm picking up a used tranny and wondering if I can swap, with minimal complication, any 260g? I can reuse parts (except syncro's obviously) from my current tranny.

thanks for any input!

Comment

Originally posted by el bob View Post
                Holy smokes, $35 bucks? I thought trans' went for way more than that. Any chance you could hook a brotha up? :)
                lol harrys u pull it, they have weekly specials, transmissions were on special for $35. They are normally a whopping $60 bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

And late models not having the early shift console mounting holes threaded.

And I think early models may not have had the late shifter mounting ears?

The b25 trans not having b27 flywheel sensor holes...
                  I had no idea about the bellhousings being different, I did however know the flywheel sensor holes for eta's were different....
                  Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

My 260 has a flux capacitor.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are different, but it's no big deal. I'm using a full eta trans/clutch setup on my m50 swap car, and it works fine. As long as you keep the trans, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, TOB, and slave cylinder together from the same car, it will work on any m20 and m/s5x AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        We used a G260 from a 86 325e in my brothers 89 325i with a b25 clutch and flywheel with no problems.

He's now running the same setup behind an M50.

I think the length difference isn't a big deal.

Comment

From a poster on mye28 forum -

"260/5 was used in the 533 cars ('83-'84 MY)
                          265 was used in the '85 535i - and some very early '86 cars I've seen.
                          260/6 was used '86 on.

The way I've heard it explained is that the 260/5 was developed for the E28, but ended up being weak, so BMW used the 265 for 1985 (just as they did in the '80, '81 E12) while Getrag developed the 260/6.

It's pretty easy to tell which tranny is which. If the bellhousing is a separate piece, it's a 265. If it has the waffle pattern underneath and has integrated bellhousing, it's a 260/5. The 260/6 has the fins and an integrated bellhousing"

"Well, I was a bit harsh in calling the 260/5 "crap." Essentially I wanted to show that it was the least-desirable of the 3. In my experience, they're more prone to input shaft rattling, bad synchros and you have fewer clutch choices (one, if I'm not mistaken) - and you cannot use an M5 pressure plate since it won't fit in the bellhousing.

The 265 is a 262 with a 3rd section housing 5th gear. I'm sure it's a fine transmission - for a 4-speed, but I wouldn't use it in a project.

As for the 2 variations of the 265, there was indeed a 265CR (dogleg) and a 265 OD, and even a 3rd that was used in the E30 M3. It is essentially a 265CR with the OD shift pattern. The main difference in these aside from the shift-pattern is that the CR has a 1:1 ratio for 5th gear (which is the same as 4th in an overdrive transmission which has a ratio around .81 or so for 5th). So, if you want to know what it's like to drive around with a dogleg box without going to a taller diff, don't shift to 5th.
                          "
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                            We used a G260 from a 86 325e in my brothers 89 325i with a b25 clutch and flywheel with no problems.

He's now running the same setup behind an M50.

I think the length difference isn't a big deal.
                            Hmmm... I wonder if it's only certain years wth different bellhousings? I think they changed the casing somewhere in the ~84/85 model year to include tabs to mount the late style shifter setup, and then again in ~86/87 they didn't bother threading the holes for the early style shifter.

Comment

Working...
                            X