"floating gears"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"floating gears"?

has anyone ever used this technique on their cars? i cant seem to find a thread on this but i heard about it today and i was wondering how is it possible and if its even good for your transmission? apparently its best to do it on e30s and older audis..but i never heard about this type of shifting before..any help?

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Never heard of it. Like flat shifting maybe?
    Matt

sigpic

Comment

Never heard of it, but I can tell you that the best way to shift gears in an e30 is normally.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

clutchless shifting. rev-matching and slipping it into gear. truckers do this, but they also dont have synchros. dont do it, it's bad.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

If that is what it is, then its fine to do if you get it perfect every time. Each time you miss, though, it kills your synchros a bit more.

Why not just use the clutch?
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

shit I cant even get it out of gear let less then in to a gear with out using my clutch.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I dont see the point unless your worring about time in a race... My 260 doesnt like to be shifted with out the cluth but what the 240 in my 85 318i was fine with it..but theres no point unless your in a race and worried about tenths of a second
              84 318I Delphin RIP
              87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
              89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

i had to clutchless shift for a few days when my MC bracket was bent, not too hard but for me at least it was alot slower shifts than with the clutch, takes a bit of practice to get the revs just right so itll slip right in
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

ya with 260 it seemed real touchy it only worked for me around 4200
                  84 318I Delphin RIP
                  87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                  89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

oh i see yeah the person said it is fine with like an '86 318i so i was like huh? you can shift without clutching?? but yeah thanks just wanted to know about it and how it is for our cars

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                    Originally posted by scabzzzz
                    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                    2002 325i - DD
                    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

My dad did this for a few months in the 318i(trying to show off) ;). Soon after we lost 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear. Now we have another tranny which was easily sourced from a junkyard so no problem there, but either way I don't recommend it.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                      X