Auto to Manual conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto to Manual conversion

What has been the cost to convert to Manual...labor and parts?
    Is a good working auto trans (1990) worth anything?
    BMWCCA 12660

At least 3k. Thats what I am budgeting for. I am collecting all the parts now. So at least I wont have the mark up there. I can't do it myself. I could if I was single and rich but that's not the case. if I get 50 bucks for the auto I'll be happy. sent from hell using tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Figure 14 hours of labor times whatever your local shop charges. I got sick of tripping over auto transmissions at my shop, and only sold 2 out of the 10yrs I've been here (and only got $50-70) - stopped saving them.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I ended up buying a running car and parted everything out to essentially get a free 5 speed swap. I still paid to get it installed and replaced a whole bunch of parts with the swap.
        sigpic

Comment

I had bimmerbuddies do it because I was strapped for time. 800$ for parts all new besides shifter, trans, driveshaft, and pedals. 1k for work done (had diff swapped, inspected and bushings installed.) was finished in two days.
          85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Hey you guys,

Sorry for a possible hijack of the thread, but I do have a question related to auto to manual conversion.
            I've recently bought a car with such a conversion made and browsing the internet I've noticed I do not have this insulation and I cannot seem to find in it in realoem.com either.

Is there a such insulation/noise reduction item in E30s ? If so, could someone please point me to it/some PN ?
            Thanks !

Image e30-old-shifter-install hosted in ImgBB

https://ibb.co/f1bKVzW

PS: Also, do you know what does the plastic string do (the one tied to the rubber boot in the pic below):
            Last edited by Xelo; 02-15-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Try 25111220312. The wire I think you’re pointing out (the wire encased in plastic) is the back up light switch.
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Hi,

I figured it out finally.
                The insulation (sound absorber) is for pre-facelift models, goes above the shifter tray/arm as seen here:

Facelift models do not have that.

As for the plastic string coming with the shift boot, I think it's there for a) keeping the shape of the boot in place until installation and/or b) making installation easier while insertin the boot in place/into the chassis in center console (you pull the string, it comes out ant the boot wraps around the round hole in the chassis).

Comment

Working...
                X