Getrag 260 “i” into 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 “i” into 325e

Hey guys, just picked up an 86 325e with an auto trans. It came with an i series getrag 260. It only has the two retainer clip holes and a clutch slave master cylinder hole in the bell housing. From what I understand, I will need two additional holes in the bell housing to support the use of two crank position sensors. Is this correct? Is there any way to adapt the crank position sensors to support the “i” tranny such as tapping holes in the bell housing? I’ve searched quite a bit and can’t find anything on this, which I’m guessing is due to it unfortunately not being possible.
    edit: i looked a bit further and actually found out the transmission does seem to have the boss casting for the sensor holes. The top sensor is actually open and tapped but filled with silicone by someone previously!? The bottom hole is undrilled.... I thought it was either no crank shaft position sensor in the bell housing or two sensors? what’s your guys take on this? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by 65fordls2; 04-09-2020, 02:35 AM.

On the E engine manual transmissions, there are two sensors on the bell housing. One looks for a pin on the flywheel and one looks for the teeth of the flywheel. I would suspect they are very precise and drilling them out would be tricky.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      On the E engine manual transmissions, there are two sensors on the bell housing. One looks for a pin on the flywheel and one looks for the teeth of the flywheel. I would suspect they are very precise and drilling them out would be tricky.
      Yeah, that’s kinda what I was thinking/worried about as well.

I’ve tried to do quite a bit of research but it doesn’t seem any getrag 260 i trannys came stock with only a single hole drilled in the crank sensor boss area correct? Anyone happen to know? I’m guessing the previous owner drilled the upper sensor position hole due to the bottom one still being sealed/not drilled and tapped from the casting.

Comment

325i doesn't use flywheel sensors. It has a crank sensor mounted on the front of the engine. Find someone with a ETA trans in the area and take measurements for the holes or buy one and sell yours. I suppose you could go off pictures as well. He's a good thread as well...

Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          325i doesn't use flywheel sensors. It has a crank sensor mounted on the front of the engine. Find someone with a ETA trans in the area and take measurements for the holes or buy one and sell yours. I suppose you could go off pictures as well. He's a good thread as well...

Got it. Thanks for the help, That thread is where I originally obtained most of my knowledge about these trannys. Found a local Bmw shop that has an early model eta version that should fit, and he even offered to just straight up trade for each others. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X